EMERGENCY!! I think she may be dying!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koakritters, Jan 17, 2013.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    There is something seriously wrong with my little hen. An hour ago she was acting blind and now she's twitching her head backwards and to the side while snapping at the air. She is not making any noises and keeps trying to stretch out. She's never been able to walk since I got her (rescue hen) but she's always been a very mobile chicken and now she doesn't even want to do anything.

she also just did the whole body goes rigid eyes closed thing they do when they die for like 10 seconds and i thought she was dead and picked her up, but her heart was still beating and she snapped back out of it.

now she's just laying there and idk what to do. it's as if she can't see, or even hear me, and i haven't found anything on here that sounds like her symptoms.

UPDATE VIDEO
    I tried to video her doing what she's doing in case that helps, i don't know if it's helpful or not since you can't see her trembling the whole time as well as moving her head back and forth. this is her little make-shift box so she doesn't hurt herself...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    sounds like food poisoning, if she is still alive try giving her droppers of water in her mouth. Did you just bought the back of food? it happened to me and I had to throw it away.

3. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    she's still here.

i almost think she has a bunch of food lodged in her throat idk if she's just so skinny that her esophagus is sticking out and obvious, but it it very hard and there could be something in there. i'v tried giving her oil and massaging it but that doesn't seem t be helping. she's still looking around and pecking at nothing and won't talk, and normally she's er loud and always has something to say...

4. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i also let her outside to play in the dirt and grass for a bit yesterday, but i watched her and didn't see her get into anything and my other chickens are out there all the time and hey are all fine.. and they eat the same food as her too so i don't think it could have been the food.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It could be that the dying process has started. I've had them do the same as yours and die a couple of days later.

6. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i added a video in case that can help anyone figure this out..

7. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    she wants to eat now but i don't think she can see, or else she is very uncoordinated because she can't seem to grab the food eve though it's right in front of her. made her some oats soaked in water, one of her favorites...

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I hate to say it, but it looks like Merek's to me.

9. nevermorefarm

nevermorefarm New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Colusa County, CA
    Your bird has definite ataxia (lack of coordination) but that doesn't look like classic Marek's...there are a variety of illnesses both viral, dietary and bacteriological that can produce ataxia. What is the overall body condition of your bird? Well fleshed or skinny? Eating and drinking normally or not? Age? Some nasty viruses strike at very specific times....Where do you live in the country? There are labs that can diagnose poultry disease with a blood sample if you know where to go; it is a useful tool for ruling out some common illnesses. But at the end of the day, if you give supportive care and the bird's condition improves or remains the same (assuming you are determined to try to the bitter end) there may be hope. You mentioned this is a rescue...from what?

10. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    seems like it is neurological. If she will drink you can try some vitamin B12 or a B complex in her water for a few weeks. It seems to help with some paralysis, I have seen it work with one of mine. But I also had one with the blind or lack of perseption, with star gazing, not eating, watery poops ang the vet said it was probably Markes, but no blood work was done to confirm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by