Emergency--Injured hen--Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harv681, Jan 12, 2008.

1. harv681

harv681 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    One of my dogs just grabbed one of my hens. She has a large area of torn skin on her upper chest at the base of her neck--no bleeding. I can see some muscle tissue and fat. She is walking around and seems to have no fatal injury, but I separated her and she is now sitting quietly in the coop. The injury looks clean. I put some antibiotic ointment. Should I try and suture the skin or will it heal on its own? What more should I be doing now? What should I look for to let me know that I should take her to a vet?

2. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
  3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The link given above has a lot of good info.

Would it be possible for you to post pics? This will really help folks give advice re: whether she'll need stitching up.

In the meantime, quiet, warm area (so she doesn't have to expend energy to keep warm) with food and water. Topical antibiotic as you've done. If little blood and you're not worried about internal injury you can also give her aspirin (in water) for pain - this could lift her spirits and keep her drinking and eating as the pain of it all sets in and it sounds like there will be some pain. 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin crushed per gallon of water is the usual dose recommended on BYC. Hopefully she's drinking and will get some in her.

JJ

4. harv681

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks for the link. I irrigated the wound with the "iodine tea." I have her isolated in the bathroom, and have given her some of the water/aspirin. She is resting. She seems confused as to why she is in the house instead of in the coop with her sisters. I will try to get a picture tomorrow. Right now, I think I am more stressed than she is. Of course, I can see the wound and she cannot.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

harv-
    Sounds like you're doing what you need to do. Make sure that wound stays flushed and the hen stays calm. You may what to give her Pedialite (not grape flavored) to give her a little boost.

6. harv681

Aug 20, 2007
    Kiwi was eating this morning and squawking like usual. However, I had a difficult time assessing her wound--she was guarding the area, and shaking as I lifted the row of feathers near the laceration. She was obviously in a great deal of pain. My daughter (a vet tech) convinced me to bring Kiwi to the vet for at least some antibiotics. The vet was horrified at the extent of the injury and said there was little chance it would heal on its own. I was unwilling to take that chance. The upshoot is that Kiwi is to be medicated, debrided, sutured, and put on a course of antibiotics. Once I get her home this afternoon, she will be back in the bathroom chicken ICU. CarrieBrown, thanks for the advice on Pedialite. I will buy some now.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are a good person. May Kiwi enjoy a full recovery and may you both enjoy each other's company for a very long time to come [​IMG]
    JJ

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Good luck and keep us updated.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Good luck with Kiwi!
    Sounds like she has a good chicken parent.

10. harv681

Aug 20, 2007
    Kiwi was stitched back together this afternoon. Poor baby has a naked chest and neck as the feathers had to be removed to facilitate medical treatment. Her injury was worse than we thought--several deep puncture wounds in addition to the large laceration which barely missed her crop. I have her upstairs in a large dog kennel. The vet said to keep her warm and quiet for the next 24 hours. She will also be on antibiotics for 10 days. What is the best way to "pill" a chicken? My thought is to crush the pill and mix it in her favorite treat: yogurt and granola. Any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by