EMERGENCY!!! Injured pullet - any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steph_t, May 23, 2010.

1. steph_t

steph_t Hatching

May 23, 2010
    I have 10 3 month old pullets. When I went out to feed them this morning they were all fine. A couple hours later I peeked in on them, and one was all bloody. The others had apparently pecked at her vent until she was all bloody and raw. There is nothing hanging out, and she isn't too lethargic. I have her separated from the rest of the flock now. Should I leave her alone and see if she recovers? Is there anything I can do for her, or do I just put her out of her misery? Help!

Last edited: May 23, 2010

2. Bantam_Girl32

Bantam_Girl32 In the Brooder

May 22, 2008
    I would go to your nearest tractor supply or feed store and buy a thing of Blu-Kote. Wear disposable clothing and glove when you do this or you will get stained! This gets rid or the red color that causes pecking, disinfects the area, and stops the bleeding. If you can not get to the store right away, you can use petroleum jelly to make it taste bad, so she does not preen it, causing more damage.

Hope this helps!

~Bantam_Girl32~

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I agree with BG32, the blu-kote is your best bet. If you can't get to the feed store today I'd put some neosporin without lidocaine on it and keep her seperated until she heals up. If you can get the blu-kote you'll *probably* be able to put her back in with the rest if you're able to cover all the red with the blue, but sometimes they'll keep at it even after you apply the blu-kote so keep an eye on things so you can take action before the other pullets cause too much damage. It seems a bit odd for pullets that age to be that aggresive, how much room do they have and what are you feeding them? It may be time to get them in a bigger space. You can also introduce them to things like a hanging cabbage (it will take a few days for them to stop being scared of it) or flock block if you think they are doing this out of boredom.

4. dawnchick

dawnchick In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Why was she pecked? How much space do they have? The FAQ page has an article on pecking/feather pulling with some good info.

5. steph_t

steph_t Hatching

May 23, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! Our feed store is closed on Sunday, but I will go first thing in the morning and get the blu-coat. I'm afraid one of my chickies *might* be a roo. No crowing yet, but "she" is kind of aggressive and I would bet she's the one who started it. Also, the injured bird is white, and while she's not the only white one, most of the flock is a darker color. Maybe that had something to do with it? I think they have plenty of room - a 4 X 6 foot coop with a 4.5 X 12 foot run.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It sounds like they are starting to feel a bit squeezed. It might be enough room for how old they are now, but if they are LF that is going to be really tight in a few months. Rule of thumb is 4sq' in the coop and 10sq' in the run per bird. If you free range and/or live in a mild climate where they don't spend much time in the coop you can fudge the numbers a bit, but if not the chances are good that you'll start having a lot of feather pecking and aggresion issues come winter when they are full grown and feeling crowded.

Last edited: May 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by