EMERGENCY! Internal laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soccerchicken, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Ok, so here goes. Three years ago my golden comet River died from what I now know was internal laying. Late last year my hen Wolf of the same breed died as well, with the same symptoms (lethargy, not eating, sitting puffed up) now my favorite hen, Nyac, (also a comet) has been lethargic and just standing around. I can't bring her to the vet, and I am VERY upset at the thought of loosing her. I've heard the penicillin can help her at this early stage, as can VetRX. But can giving penicillin when she doesn't need it hurt her? And could I give it to her with VetRX? I don't want to make her more sick. Also what king of penicillin could I give her? PLEASE if you have any information, comment. I can't stand to loose another one of my flock.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
  3. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    But now that I've read it I think antibiotics would be the best option thank you very much for replying. That also had something interesting about spaying, do you think that could possibly be a good solution?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The problem is knowing what actually is the cause of your birds symtoms, it may be internal laying or it may not. There are many problems that can cause those symptoms.

VetRx will do nothing, it is a camphor product, similar to humans using menthol product for a cold with congestion. As far as treating with antibiotic's? Obviously if she has some kind of active infection it will help with that. If she has developed peritonitis due to internal laying it may help temporarily.

Have you ruled out other more common causes of these symptoms, such as internal parasites? What is her body condition like? Has she lost weight, any bloating or swelling in the lower abdomen?
    Other then reproductive tract problems including internal laying these symptoms can be caused by cancer/tumors, disease of other major organs like the liver or kidneys, as well as heart/circulatory problems and more.

Spaying a hen is an option, IF you can find a very good, very experienced avian vet who is willing to try it. It's much more complicated then spaying a dog or cat. Also, by the time hens are showing symptoms such as you describe, they are often very sick birds and are not good candidates for such a major sugery. It's not unusual to get into these birds only to find there are more or worse problems then anticipated prior to surgery. Again, a very good vet is needed and it will not be cheap.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  5. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    My hens are wormed, and I often give them onions (I've heard that's good for parasite control) she hasn't lot weight that I know of, but she's always been smaller than the other girls. She's in the middleof a molt, and is 3 years old. Other two girls also passed away in the middle of a molt so I don't really want to chalk it up to that. Her crop is mostly full, but is soft and pliable. Her feathers are shiny and soft and there is no sign of a clogged vent.

I have found an avian vet with a good reputation 12 minutes from here, but it's not a positive thing. I'm not sure I can afford it. Nyac is actually in fairly good shape she's eating a little bit. She'll take a few steps around her pen, but does mostly just stand around. Do you know how much it could cost? I know this sounds insane, but I could probably only afford around $300. I know some places spay dogs and cats for free, but I know that's out of the question, huh?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A friend of mine was quoted $1500 for a spay. Sad to say, but these cases don't usually end well. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

That's about the price range I was quoted as well and the prognosis often isn't very good.

Soccerchicken, if you haven't dewormed your birds with an actual dewormer you might want to consider it. Onions will not deworm your birds. I'm not even sure birds are supposed to eat onions, seems like I've been told or read that somewhere but could be wrong. Something to look into further I guess.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I believe onions are toxic to birds.

-Kathy

9. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    In small amount onions flavor the eggs and in large amounts they make it so that your chicken becomes anemic.

10. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    I only give her a fourth teaspoon every other week. Not too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by