EMERGENCY. Is anyone awake? Buff Orp dripping blood from vent

VintageLilFarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2012
The Great Northwest
My Orp seemed a little puny today. I separated her for a bit, made sure she drank water, etc. I was out for the evening and when I came home I found her on the floor of the coop rather than roosting and blood is dripping from her vent. I don't feel anything hard like an egg, but I don't know how to tell really. Can anyone give me some kind of advice? She is two years old, I don't see any evidence of a predator attack or feather plucking, no evidence of parasites. They are on a good diet of layer feed, free choice oyster shell and grit and they free range all day.

I can't see much because of feathers, and I don't know how much is safe to prod around near there. Is anyone awake and can give me any input at all?

VintageLilFarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2012
The Great Northwest
I was able to look more closely and it is a wound near her vent, but not actual vent. It stopped dripping and I sprayed on BluKote. It seems a bit deep for BluKote but my options are limited and I imagine infection is just as real of a concern as the bleeding? She is isolated in a tub of straw and towel so straw doesn't poke the wound, then covered with a towel to help it be dark and hope she can sleep. I offered sugar water but she refused. I know she drank water around 5 pm today so thinking I can give by syringe in morning if not better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Falkenhof

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
Chickens heal remarkably. If the wound isn't very deep but breaks the skin and fat, then I would switch to a non-pain-relief antibiotic ointment. Wash the wound once a day and keep her away from the flock until its mostly healed up. If you've got pictures, that would be helpful. If the wound is seriously deep, flushing it, keeping it clean, and coat of ointment will help, but search the BYC threads for the serious wound treatments to see if her wound mimics another. I wouldn't cover it.

I'd not be worried about her drinking or eating. If the water isn't down by the next night, a little eye drop of it to entice her might be enough. She probably wants to rest more than anything. If she doesn't drink for more than 2 days, then start forcing the issue with her. I'd opt for an electrolyte, probiotic and vitamin mix in the water, only if she isn't eating or eating very little. Chances are she will start to perk up and be back to herself even with the wound.

But still, a picture would help, how severe is it?

Top Bottom