EMERGENCY- Laryngotracheitis treatment

kukree

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
I have been able I diagnose my rooster with Laryngotracheitis, but I'm not sure what i should use to treat him. can someone please post a link to something I should buy, or tell me the name of something I should buy. any responses will b much appreciated

Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) is very contageous to other birds, symptoms are similar to other respiratory diseases with one exception; chickens with ILT cough/expel and sling blood all over the place. It would be best to cull affected birds. Here's a link for you, scroll down to Infectious Laryngotracheitis:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) is very contageous to other birds, symptoms are similar to other respiratory diseases with one exception; chickens with ILT cough/expel and sling blood all over the place. It would be best to cull affected birds. Here's a link for you, scroll down to Infectious Laryngotracheitis:

thank you. I would never be able to put him down. what should I use to treat him??

Luckily he's not coughing blood, but he is gasping for air ocassionaly. if not Laryngotracheitis do you have any idea what it may be?

Are there any other symptoms such as; wheezing, sneezing, bubbly eyes, facial swelling, runny nostrils, gurgling etc? If so, you're dealing with some type of respiratory disease. Personally I'd cull before it spreads to the rest of the flock. However, there are treatments...but no cures for respiratory diseases. Birds become carriers for life and will require treatment as time goes by especially when they're stressed in some manner.
If there are no other symptoms, he may simply be adjusting his crop to swallow something. If that's the case, you can give him an eyedropperful of olive oil orally, then gently massage his throat down to his crop. He will either pass or puke whatever is stuck.

Are there any other symptoms such as; wheezing, sneezing, bubbly eyes, facial swelling, runny nostrils, gurgling etc?  If so, you're dealing with some type of respiratory disease. Personally I'd cull before it spreads to the rest of the flock. However, there are treatments...but no cures for respiratory diseases. Birds become carriers for life and will require treatment as time goes by especially when they're stressed in some manner.
If there are no other symptoms, he may simply be adjusting his crop to swallow something. If that's the case, you can give him an eyedropperful of olive oil orally, then gently massage his throat down to his crop. He will either pass or puke whatever is stuck.

I've tried the olive oil remedy, I don't think anything is stuck. his eye is a bit foamy sometimes I've noticed fr the past two days. no facial swelling, no runny nostrils, no gurgling, What's should I use to treat him. in pretty sure it's a repuratory problem

Foamy eye, gasping for air, sometimes sneezes...I agree with you, most likely a respiratory disease. It could possibly be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or maybe infectious bronchitis (IB.) Since you wont cull, I recommend tylan 50 injectable. It'll be in the cattle section at your feed store. Injecting dosage is 1/2cc (for standards) or 1/4cc (for bantams) into the breast muscle just under the skin once a day for 3 days, alternate breasts and dont inject into the same spot.
You can give it to him orally if you wish; 1/2cc orally (standards) 1/4cc (bantams) once a day for 5-7 days, no more than 7 days. Hopefully you'll see improvement about the 4th day when dosing orally.

Foamy eye, gasping for air, sometimes sneezes...I agree with you, most likely a respiratory disease. It could possibly be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or maybe infectious bronchitis (IB.) Since you wont cull, I recommend tylan 50 injectable. It'll be in the cattle section at your feed store. Injecting dosage is 1/2cc (for standards) or 1/4cc (for bantams) into the breast muscle just under the skin once a day for 3 days, alternate breasts and dont inject into the same spot. 
You can give it to him orally if you wish; 1/2cc orally (standards) 1/4cc (bantams) once a day for 5-7 days, no more than 7 days. Hopefully you'll see improvement about the 4th day when dosing orally.

when given orally shall I give tylan 50 injectable or another form?? what is 1/2cc in millilitres??

Back
Top Bottom