EMERGENCY - Lethargic after Fluid Draining

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Greetings. So my Ruby has been treated with hormones for over two years now. So far, she has responded well to treatment. She has some sort of undefined, hormone-driven disorder that causes ascites. In her case, the ascites is compartmentalized pretty deep.

Yesterday the avian vet contacted me to let me know they were finally being trained on their new ultrasound device and would I like an ultrasound of Ruby's belly free of charge? Of course, I accepted. When I picked Ruby up, the vet said she did great, and they drained off over 500mL, since they could see exactly where the fluid was. Ruby was alert, but calm, and the vet said she was still on valium (diazepam). The vet also said she should feel a LOT better.

Well, Ruby has declined. She has been open mouth breathing with her tail down, and won't touch feed or water, or even her favorite treats. When we got home from my work this afternoon (I had to go back to work for a bit after picking Ruby up), she put herself to bed in a nesting box. I offered baby bird formula and raw egg, and she was having no part of that.

Ruby is STILL dripping fluid, two hours after I picked her up, and that's after the 500+mL drain. I am worried. I've read conflicting reviews on whether "too much" fluid can be drained. While Ruby's abdomen was huge and tight, and she moved around slowly, she still had her tail up, ate, drank, preened, talked and pooped. I knew whatever she has would eventually kill her, but would not have put her through that today if it was going to be her last day. Hopefully I'm just being dramatic. I'm working my last hour at home outside and will let her rest while her sisters free range. I'm so sad for her. I want her to feel better. For now, I'm letting her rest and recover. I'm wondering at what point I should tube fluids, but don't want to stress her out and send her over the edge. Also don't want to handle her much if her belly is tender after being poked. I also don't want her to go into shock if I can help prevent that. I'm hoping it's just that she's still sedated from the diazepam.

Advice would be appreciated.

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony

Last edited:
I am not an expert in draining chickens, but the one bantam hen I did drain 3 different times always continued to leak fluids afterward for several hours. I would offer some electrolyte water to replace any lost in the ascites fluid. I hope that she gets better.
Thanks. She won't drink anything yet, but I'll try.

Thanks. She won't drink anything yet, but I'll try.
I don't think you should freak out just yet. It's only been a few hours right?
I would wait for Kathy to respond but maybe plan on tubing come morning. I don't know though. I think a few more hours wouldn't hurt...of waiting.

Last edited:
I don't think you should freak out just yet. It's only been a few hours right?
I would wait for Kathy to respond but maybe plan on tubing come morning. I don't know though. I think a few more hours wouldn't hurt...of waiting.
Not totally freaking, but worried. She has not perked up and is still dripping. That just seems like a long time without fluid. She didn’t want me bothering her, so relocated to the “upstairs” of the coop on the floor with her face in a corner.

Not totally freaking, but worried. She has not perked up and is still dripping. That just seems like a long time without fluid. She didn’t want me bothering her, so relocated to the “upstairs” of the coop on the floor with her face in a corner.
I'm sure it's scary. I honestly don't know if it would be good to wait or start tubing now.

Back
Top Bottom