Emergency Move!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dodgersmomma, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Im not sure if this belongs in this section or not but to me its an emergency. I "had" an incubator with 21 eggs in it but one day I was gone for the day and when I got home the temperature was 110 degress F. I candled all the eggs and only 2 of them made it [​IMG] I just found out that I am going to live with my aunt for 2 weeks and my sister and mother have work all day so they cant take care of them. My aunt lives an hour and a half from me so it is going to be a long ride. My aunt said I can bring them with me but I dont know how I can do that. Someone told me that I could get a cooler and some heat pads but I didnt know if that would work. Can someone PLEASE help me??? The eggs are 11 days old as of today and would end up hatching while I am there. That leads to my secont problem... How can I transport the chicks once they hatch? Please answer fast?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wrap the incubator in celophane wrap and a towel. This will keep the humidity and heat in. Get there as fast as you can. Eggs can tolerate up to 24 hours of room temp, with a fairly decent hatch, so a 1 1/2 hour drive should not affect the eggs too much. Try not to jiggle them around too much. Soon as you get there, plug in the bator. You should be fine.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and just as chicks are shipped by mail, you can load them up in a box, try to keep them warm and get them to their new home. [​IMG]

4. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Thank you so much! Now my only problem is finding a feed store while im there... I leave out on the 4th

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK my trick I use. I fill a soak with rice and tie it off. Then microwave it. It will stay warm for a long time if you have it set in a box or container. Don't set the chicks right on top of it. I leave it to one side so they can get closer if they need to.

And if you have feed at home, ziplock some and take it along.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by