Emergency Muscovy Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I had my mother incubate some eggs for me & the 2 scovy eggs left have been due. One is moving a lto so im not worried but the other has been dead-looking for the last few days (i've had a lot of problems because of the weather). My mother also had a terrible time with her roomate messing with the bator so i expected there might be issues.

FIRST, I have a lot of experience with doing this. we had scovies before and the mommas would leave the nest of 40 after about 10 babies so we would have to finish the work and help a lot.

anyway, I opened the egg & thought for sure he was dead, no movement at all [​IMG] i dripped some warm water on the membrane to see if that would cause him to stir but nothing still. right when i was going to set it down and give up the little fart jumped! SO excited!! [​IMG] He was still very still so i peeled back some of the shell and opened up the membrane so he could breathe. Everything looked alright, he's just really "blah". I wrapped him in a warm, wet cloth & put him back in the bator with the others.

It's an adorable little Pied baby (possibly blue but hard to tell wet). Keep your fingers crossed for him please!! it seems like forever since i've had baby Muscovies!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    AWWWWW [​IMG][​IMG]

Crossing fingers for the little ducky!

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww! I sure hope & pray the little one will be alright. Be sure to give us an update.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I pray that he will be fine as well.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I hope all turns out well with your little guy. I had given up hope on an egg once- and took it out of the bator- put it on the kitchen sink. Half an hour later i came back to throw it in the bin- and I saw movment again. Lucky little guy was just about to get wrapped in newspaper and tossed out. He was weaker and smaller than the rest for a while, but soon caught up. Im sure this little guy is going to gets heaps of extra attention over the next few days.

I havent had Muscovies for over 20 years but I had a lone muscovy egg in a batch of 12 given to me- she hatched over the weekend- but is now so much smaller than those who hatched the week earlier, she will have to stay on her own for a while.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think i lost the little guy [​IMG] he stayed really lethargic after hatch and isn't moving at all now. i hate bad hatches & incubation problems [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh no- Im so sorry to hear that.

It so hard sometimes not to help a little one- but sadly I have found too that some I have peeled shell on or helped out of the egg really arent very strong to begin with.
    Poor little guy- I hope your other egg hatches ok.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Aww, that's sad. Sometimes it just happens.
    I hope the other one makes it ok.

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Owhh I hope he's ok and survives [​IMG]
    love scovies [​IMG]

10. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Maybe hes just resting...hopefully...he is soo cute