Emergency muscovy help! Please respond!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jerushatwo, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jerushatwo

jerushatwo New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    We have had a hard time with our eggs, as we were letting the momma sit on them, but many died. We think it was the moisture conditions in the house. We had one last egg, but it was accidently knocked over and broke. It looked hopeless, but we opened the egg and the little one (within a day of hatching is still alive and breathing, although the inside of the egg is totally exposed. The yoke is attached, and the little guy is breathing, and occasionally chirping. We immediately put him in an incubator . My question is what temperature and moisture levels should we keep considering that this fetal duckling is completely exposed? We have her next to the enclosure with our 3 newly hatched Cayugas, and they are communicating, and we recorded sounds off the internet of a momma muscovy and her chicks, and are playing them on a loop. Please can anyone give us sound advice. this is our first time trying with ducks, and this is Jerusha's last chance at being a momma to her own flesh and blood. It seems like a miracle that the little one is still alive, and we would dearly like to keep it that way. Yours;
    -Evelyn and Peter.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. jerushatwo

jerushatwo New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    she did really well with breathing and moving all throught the night but just before 24 hrs she stopped breathing and there was nothing we could do.
    we have had bad luck with muscovies and it breaks my heart.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry
    [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, so sorry.

6. jerushatwo

jerushatwo New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    Thank you to Amiga and Miss Lydia for responding. We'll focus on our three little cayuga-pekin ducklings which were incubator eggs from friends. We'll hand raise them and introduce them slowly to the Muscovies when they are bigger (they are 5 and 6 days old now and little bundles of energy). We let Jerusha Two back outside with her adult Muscovy family and they accepted her back right away. Now we have a big learning curve on how to raise these little ducklings and introduce them both to the cooling outdoors weather and the adults. Wish us luck. We learned a lot this year and we'll look at the long term forecast before letting another Muscovy sit - we had a lot of rain here in the fews weeks or so and that drove the humidity up and we couldn't control it. Perhaps we'll try to incubate one or two next year. I love my Muscovies.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wish you the best with your new lil ones, just remember to take it slow with introductions and eventually they will be one flock, and fully feathered before outside full time. unless you can provide heat. Love to see pics of your Scovy's and your new lil ones. and
    [​IMG] ps we actually have a thread devoted to showing off our Scovy's. [​IMG]

8. jerushatwo

jerushatwo New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    hi Miss Lyda
    what is the thread for showing off the scovies? I have to figure out this whole forum thing and where to post pictures etc.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by