1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency! My 2 month old Sultan pullet wont eat or walk around!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesForEver, Dec 16, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    She lives in a brooder with 13 other chicks with a 75 watt heat lamp, and its not cold here. But, she's still not doing well. She stands hunched and wont eat or walk around. Only sits and sleeps. She's very skinny too.
    Please if you know whats wrong with her, please tell me! Also, if you know of a high protein liquid, that I can give her in a syringe, let me know, so I can give it to her right away!
    Thanks!

2. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Please anyone help! She's losing strength fast!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old is this chick? Still in the brooder so young enough I would guess. At that age, and if the main symptoms are lethargy and not eating/drinking, the first thing I would treat for, and without delay, would be coccidiosis. A 5 to 7 day round of Corid. Brooders are perfect places for cocci to grow and what chicks don't occasionally get poop in their water etc.? I would start with that and see how the chick does. The first day you might even want to dribble the medication into it's beak every couple of hours to make sure it's getting enough. When they don't feel good they aren't going to drink enough. If that's what it is you'll see improvement very quickly, the next day even, provided you caught it in time.

If you don't see any improvement after treating with Corid then obviously it's something else and you'll have to go from there but at least you'll have ruled out coccidiosis.

4. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for responding. She is 2 months old.
    Where can I get Corid?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Is this the same bird I told you needed to be treated with Corid about a week ago? If you haven't treated yet then that's what I'd suspect it is and I'd be very worried.

You can pick up Corid at any animal feed store.

6. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    The nearest feed store is 45:00 away, and their all closed now. [​IMG] I'm so scared. She's like my baby. Is there anything else I can do until I can get Corid?

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Try and get fluids and electrolytes in her, like gatorade or something and hold tight until you can get some. It might be too late now though if she's gotten that bad.

Why didn't you treat her a week ago when I suggested it then? I told you how serious it is and even said that it only takes about a week to kill them? [​IMG]

Also as a note. As a chicken keeper you should ALWAYS have certain medications and first aid items in your possession for situations just like this. Corid, Tylan (or any other respiratory antibiotic), dewormer, external parasite killer (like Sevin dust), electrolytes, syringes, and any other first aid supplies are things you should have in case you can't get to them when you need them most.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    When I first saw she was ailing, I treated her with what I had. Then she got better. Meaning she played, ate and acted like a normal 2 month old chick. I have everything you mentioned excepted for Corid. And I can't get any until tomorrow morning.

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Did she make it? and did you get the medicine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by