EMERGENCY: MY CHICK WAS ATTACKED

tiffnichole20

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Ironton, Ohio
I have a Araucana (that's what I was told at least) pullet that's about three weeks old. I was getting ready to feed her and her cage mate yesterday evening when she got out & was attacked by the cat. I got her away from the cat and she seemed to be gasping. I initially only found one wound on her leg, but later on I found one where her wing is jointed and one under her left wing. I'm not sure how deep the ones I found later on are, as they are clotted and I don't want to disturb them and have her lose even more blood. I'm pretty sure she's in shock and I'm doing my best to keep her warm. She won't eat or drink however, and I'm getting worried because she was eating and drinking fine before I went to sleep and she seems less alert than she was last night.

I hope she will be ok.If I were you I would take her to a vet so they can figure out what is wrong and if there is any broken bones.

Last edited:
Because she was gasping, she is probably really stressed out and I would keep her calm. Get her the vet!! If shes not eating or drinking thats a bad sign. They can die of stress.

@Woytgirl I hope she'll be ok too, unfortunately, none of the vets in my area treat chickens or I'd take her to one of them. As for bones, I don't think any are broken because she's been flapping her wings and when I flip her onto her back to look at the leg wound she moves her legs some. She stopped gasping last night & as of right now, she's wrapped in paper towels and is in the front of my shirt as close to me as she can get.

Last edited:
Ok. I think its just stress. From what you said i dont think she has anything broken. I would just keep her calm and separated from the other chick because the other chick might peck on her scratchs. You could put in a stuff animal to keep her company.
263a.png
I am praying for You and your chick. Let me know on any updates.

Last edited:
Maybe put electrolytes in her water and try to feed her some plain yogurt. Those are good healthy things. Hopefully she will eat soon.

Back
Top Bottom