emergency my duck might be sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nosduj, Feb 13, 2009.

1. nosduj

nosduj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    i have a two week old all white runner and on its wing closest to its body the skin is red and the furr is thin he lives in the brooder with three chicks and another duck is this something that i should worry about

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he acting sick?

Is he eating food and water?

3. nosduj

nosduj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    no he is acting fine but his wings just looks iratated right there by his body

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    my guess is that the chickens are pecking him. do you have a red light? that helps to stop it. you may want to seperate the ducks from the chickens if you can. Now that it's red they will keep pecking at it and this can cause infection and bad feather growth.

Good luck and keep us informed [​IMG]

Julie

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You could put some first aid ointment on it too, but use the one without painreliever.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I recently had a problem with a chick pecking another chick til it bled - I just took a Q-tip and swabbed some Blukote onto the area (it is a disinefectant and it is blue, so it discourages picking).

The chick no longer picked at the other one, and it healed up nicely within a week.

meri

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it's in the brooder? It's still a baby? then....

DON' WORRY!!!! All white/yellow colored ducklings get this... The bend of their wing looks all red... really, there's just no fluff there. Both of my babies now have it, and every light colored duck i've handled had it. It's just a lack of fluff/ down where the wind bends... When they start feathering, it'll grow in just fine. My snowy mallard had the same thing but around her neck... Now that she's 3 and half weeks old it's growing in just fine. I would not worry at all.

If you have other colored ducks and you look closely at the ends of their wings, you'll see a lack of fluff there too... It's just hard to notice on them because they have dark skin too.

With light colored ducks their pink skin shows through...

Do not worry!

8. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if you see any blood at all, then it is a pecking problem... which can easily be fixed by seperating the chickens and duck, and then putting a little ointment on the wing...

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a duckling with a red, thin-furred area on his back... it went away. good luck.

10. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    here was sammy's on her neck:

[​IMG]

She's the one on the right bending her head down to preen her belly. You can see the pin k spot on the nack of her neck. It's just like the spots they get on their wings.

Sammy's spot has already started to go away. Her skin is turning black (she's a mallard, her skin is supposed to be dark), and getting in new fluff/feathers. It was completely bald when i took this picture... I'll see if i can get anther one of her later today...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by