Emergency! My hen is dying! (Possible sour crop??)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I brought Chixsie in yesterday because she was poofed up and acting weird, the way a sick bird does. She wasn't eating so I fed her (with a syringe) yogurt, baby food, vitamins, and water. This morning she was gasping for air and vomiting a yellow liquid. I thought she was going to die. I took her outside and held her, trying to let her have some peace. She continued to vomit, and then stopped. She was still gasping for air and I brought her back inside. She stopped gasping, and even flapped her wings a bit. I fed her some yogurt, sugar water, and vitamins. I stopped when she was gasping again. She is pooping, kind of like a diarrhea. I put her back in her cage so she could rest. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Anybody?

3. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Sounds like you need a vet. I live in Oregon as well and Naomi's Organic Garden's here in Portland is good about answering questions if you call. They know of a very good vet that takes care of a lot of chickens. Maybe between one or the other you could get some phone advise ASAP. So sorry and hope she gets better quick!

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    No idea, but maybe this will keep it toward the top of the list. Good luck. Could she have eaten something (or tried to swallow something) that got stuck?

5. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Sour crop maybe??

6. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Is there anyway to tell if she has a sour crop?

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've never dealt with sour crop myself, but the main symptom is supposed to be a bad smell coming from the chicken's mouth. Here is a link for you to read more about sour crop. http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/sour-crop.html
    If
    you search on sour crop on the BYC website you will find information on how to treat this if this is what your hen has. Good luck with this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    My first two thoughts with a witdrawn fluffed up and poopy chicken is worms and cocci. How old is she, have you treated for worms before?

It may well have sour crop as suggested above, but that might be a symptom more than it is the root of the problem. If their digestion gets backed up and compounded by being weak from poor nutrient absorption the crop can sit too long with food in it and start to go sour. If it is sour crop you should be able to smell some pretty rotten breath from her.

9. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Hmm.. well she's pooping. Not very much, but she is. I just checked on her and she's just standing there in her cage with her eyes closed. She's not gasping anymore and I have noticed that the second time she was gasping was after I had syringe-fed her.

10. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Chixsie's not doing good. She is twisting her neck around in a circle.. She seems to throw up when I pull her from her cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by