EMERGENCY! My sweet girl is too weak to stand/eat. Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emxisnyder, Jul 12, 2018.

1. emxisnyder

emxisnyder Hatching

Jul 12, 2018
    Around 8pm this evening I went outside to check my coop for the night and one of my chickens was laying in the run. She was listless with her eyes closed and head on the ground. She was still breathing. I was worried an animal had possibly gotten to her because there were feathers scattered around her. I picked her up and she was able to open her eyes and lift her head. She is now resting in my air conditioned house and has a small fan running close to her. Since she was brought inside, I have been able to give her a few sips of water. She is laying on her side but will occasionally move her legs and neck and can briefly stand when I pick her up. Is this a case of heat exhaustion? My chicken is 3 years old and has had no other heath concerns before. Does anyone know what might causing this? I’ve already checked her for broken bones and external parasites. Any ideas are appreciated!!!

2. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    What temps have you had recently and how high is your heat index ( humidity?)

ChickNanny13 and emxisnyder like this.
  3. emxisnyder

emxisnyder Hatching

Jul 12, 2018
    Today’s high was 93 degrees with 69% humidity and the past few days have been around the same.

4. RenegadeSkate3

RenegadeSkate3 Chirping

Jul 3, 2018
    Can you post pictures of the pose the chicken is at? Maybe from a viewing distance you can see what disturbs her!

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hmm. Three years old, you’ve been through a few summers. Anything different about this summer or how you are cooling the hens? Has this hen had this reaction to heat before?
    Is there a chance the flock is keeping this hen away from food and water?
    The feathers around her.. was she attacked by the flock? Maybe because she has an underlying condition..

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you checked her thoroughly for any wounds, cuts/bruises?

It sounds like she is in shock. She doesn't need to be kept cold - an ideal temperature would be 75-80F, so put her in the warmest part of your house.

If you have electrolytes or poultry vitamins, try to get her hydrated. Hydration first, then once she is more alert, offer some wet feed or chopped egg.

7. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yay wyorprocks here !

puffypoo22 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  8. emxisnyder

emxisnyder Hatching

Jul 12, 2018
    Thank you all SO much for your fast and helpful responses!! I turned the fan off and offered her some more water. She responded very well and was alert and moved positions. She is now resting with her legs underneath her body. I checked her body again and do not see any kinds of cuts or bruises. Would moving cause a chicken to go into shock? I was recently given my two chickens (about 5 days ago) so they’re in a new yard, but are in the same coop. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again!

puffypoo22 likes this.
  9. RenegadeSkate3

RenegadeSkate3 Chirping

Jul 3, 2018
    No prob... I saw help... 2 min post! I was like yeah! I’ll beat these BYC sharks to their game... turn out a byc members already posted here -2 minutes even before you made the thread!:barnie One day... one day I’ll be ahead!

10. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Poop colour?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: