Emergency! Need answer ASAP!Taking a Rooster to the Vet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckking, Aug 18, 2013.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My rooster has a hurt vet and needs to go see a vet. He is very sweet, he lets me hug him and he loves to jump on my back, but he will not let me pick him up. There are no vets in the Nortg Bend Washington area that does house calls. How do I get him to the vet? Do I have to drug him! I need to know ASAP cause tomorrow is the onl day I can take him to the vet.
    Thanks
    Jackson

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If he lets you hug him then you can probably get close enough to quickly put a towel over him to help restrain him, pick him up quick and put him in a dog or cat carrier if you have one.

3. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Ill give that a shot, I'll just have to watch out for his spurs haha.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Towels are your best friend when it comes to handling birds. Putting him in a cat or small dog carrier is the best bet-- small enough that he can't bounce around too much, but large enough that he isn't smashed into it uncomfortably. If you don't have one, a box will suffice, just make sure he has adequate ventilation!

Don't try to sedate him. Just towel/blanket him and contain him appropriately. He will likely protest but his feelings will only be hurt for a short while.

If he is injured, try to take care not to make it worse.

5. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Ok I'll try a towel or blanket, what about his spurs thought. We have never been able to remove them. They are huge!

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Wrap him up gently but firmly in your towel or blanket, while holding his wings to his sides and supporting the weight of his keel (breastbone) in your hand or arm. Think of him as a giant burrito. If you wrap him up like a burrito he can't spur you. Make sure that he is not bound tightly or he will have trouble breathing. Just use the burrito treatment to get him into the carrier, then let him free of the towel. I find that my birds will fight a little at first but relax once gently wrapped in a towel. If he likes his face or wattles rubbed you can try this to relax him once he's in the towel (his head can poke out one end). Maybe the vet can help you with safe removal or reduction of the spurs once he's there, if you want to do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by