1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGENCY! Need diagnosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rugger, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rugger

Rugger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    So a few weeks back I had purchased a few chickens to add to my flock from Tractor Supply and now I may have ran into a major problem my biggest and largest chick has had these symptoms for a while but today they worsened, It was only originally discharge from the eye and bubbling(looked like eyelid grew over eye). Now the chick is coughing or sneezing sounds like its clearing nose like snorting. And another chick of the same species is snorting as well.
    Photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His legs also seems awfully large that may be normal I am new to broilers and do not plan on eating them
    I have two chickens outside and if they are exposed will they show symptoms at all or if this is serious must they as well be removed.

2. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    The pictures are too dark, see if you can get some with light on them. It sounds like a respiratory problem, and could spread, separate, isolate and sanitize everything he comes in contact with. Dont let him near any of your birds. It may be influenza which is often fatal and very contageous.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Rugger

Oct 9, 2012
    IF it is influenza will he carry it for life? He has been sick for weeks His joints also seem huge but im not good with broilers so im not sure if its normal

4. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Swollen joints made me think of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fowl_cholera

Fowl Cholera:
    Symptoms: Usually birds over 4 months — greenish yellow diarrhea; breathing difficulty; swollen joints; darkened head and wattles; often quick death. Does not infect humans.
    How contracted: Bacterial disease; wild birds, raccoons, opossums, rats, can carry. Also transmitted bird to bird and on contaminated soil, equipment, shoes, clothing contaminated water and food.

Treatment: None — destroy all infected birds if recovery occurs the bird will be a carrier
    Vaccine available: Yes, but only your state Department of Agriculture can administer it.

I would suggest culling very strongly. If it happens any of your birds come into contact with other birds, it could spread fast through your area. Its best to stop it in its tracks and cull them so they dont pass it on to outside flocks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like a respiratory disease. I recommend that you cull both chicks or more chicks if they are from the same group from TSC....you'll be glad you did. Practice biosecurity.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could possibly be dealing with either Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS.) Swollen legs would be a symptom of MS but the only way to tell exactly what you're dealing with would be bloodwork or necropsy performed on the sickest bird.
    Both diseases are transmittable to other birds, survivors are carriers for life, either disease is passed through eggs. Medications only treat symptoms, the disease(s) are never cured.
    You can contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture to find out how to go about testing.

7. Rugger

Oct 9, 2012
    Only one chick seems ill now, as soon as I separated the 2 sneezing chicks they instantly stopped sneezing. Also it is not very contagious as well since only 2 chicks got ill out of 12. This chick came this way as well I didn't realize it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by