EMERGENCY!!!! NEED HELP NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover237, Mar 18, 2012.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok this used to be something different but it should be fine if I change it. anyway today is hatch day and it didnt take long but my nerve broke and I picked open an egg on the side the air sack is on and find the half decomposed remnants of a chick. so thinking most if not all of the others are the same i start picking at another and what i find is (as best I can tell) not decomposing but looks like a wet chick and some yolk.[​IMG][​IMG](me asking my mother to slap me[​IMG]) have I killed the chick!? I did not break the membrane and the hole in the egg is about penny sized. so should I try to cover the hole? should I leave it alone? do you think it will still hatch? this is my first hatch and I am not doing so well so far.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Can you take a light bulb out of another room or lamp?

3. chickenlover237

thats the ussue! all the lightbulbs are energy saver bulbs! they all don't generate heat! [​IMG]but of course we have 20+ of those... [​IMG]

4. Swampfarmer

Swampfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Crawfordville, FL
    You said, you went to turn the light on. Are you saying the light is for illumination or is the light the heat source?

Ralph

5. chickenlover237

and I cant drive yet...
    and my mom is asleep...
    and my dad is a work...
    and I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!! ALSO FRUSTRAITED!!!
    (dang it cant remember how to spell that [​IMG])

6. chickenlover237

the light is the heat source I have to turn it off for a second while I candle the eggs.

7. chickenlover237

and isnt it so awesome that we don't have a space heater in the house ether...
    though I know we have 5 somewhere... in the shed... outside... where I cant go because my mom is asleep!!!!!

8. chickenlover237

thank you all for trying to help while I am panicking... like a chicken with its head cut off [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. Swampfarmer

Swampfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Crawfordville, FL
    how about light bulbs in the stove, or refridgerator?

10. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I think the toaster oven would be too hot. Hope you find something that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by