Emergency Nutrition

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bshyrigh, Jan 27, 2014.

1. bshyrigh

bshyrigh New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Hello folks,
    I have a bit of a situation and I'm looking for advice. We recently integrated 2 new birds into our small backyard flock. Bird 1 (stevie nicks) had no trouble with the new birds and is socializing quite well, Bird 2 (buffy) has not been accepted. They are all silkies, 2 roosters and 4 hens including the new birds.

Buffy is quite small and I think she has been malnourished for some time,I don't think the other birds are letting her eat. It became apparent when I found her outside laying in the snow yesterday morning. I brought her in the house and made her comfortable. She was unresponsive and very weak and wouldn't eat. I gave her some pedialyte and ensure to try and give her some energy and nutrients which seems to have helped. She's standing, walking and eating on her own after about 24 hours since finding her.

I'm currently giving her veggie based baby food and pedialyte which she seems to be responding well too, but it seems like I'm missing something from her diet maybe.
    Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You need to get her eating chicken food as soon as possible. Is her keel bone meaty or thin feeling?

How long has it been since you wormed your chickens?

3. bshyrigh

bshyrigh New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Fairly regularly we add garlic to the drinking water although it has been a few months since the last treatment. I am probably overdue for that. Her keel bone is pretty boney, she's not carrying much weight.

4. samidodamage

samidodamage Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Now that she's eating on her own, you can make a wet mash of her regular chicken food. Adding mashed up boiled egg to the wet mash will add more protein. If it were me, I'd start with that, using buttermilk to wet the food, each feeding using less liquid until she's eating it dry.

5. enola

Have you ever wormed her with Safeguard or valbazen?

Garlic does NOTHING to remove worms.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I agree with the above posters on the food and worming. I would add another feeder and waterer in your coop and run, so that she can sneak off and eat when the bullies aren't around.

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree worms can be an issue but until she is eating again worming her may do more harm then good. I would get her eating well again before i wormed them.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would:

Dust for mites and lice with a proper poultry dust, bugs *love* Silkies
    Get baseline weight in grams on digital kitchen or postal scale
    Keep in 80-85 degree room until acting normal
    Provide foods high in protein like eggs and turkey/gamebird starter
    Worm with Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) repeat in 10 days
    Inspect poop
    Weigh daily

-Kathy

9. bshyrigh

bshyrigh New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks a bunch Kathy, this is what i'll do

10. enola

Safeguard is probably the safest yet most effective wormer to use on a weak animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by