Emergency - oh crap I ran out of food - homemade feed

OScarlet

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
I don't have the space to store extra bags and recently we have had a problem with pests eating chicken food at night. Actually it could be our black lab/BC cross who is eternally hungry.

Yesterday we ran out of food and I couldn't get to the store.

So I'm looking around my kitchen for things I can feed the chooks while I go to the store today to supplement their foraging in the garden (we are in So Cal so there is plenty of grass and worms around right now)

They had cooked oatmeal with an egg stirred in, melon seeds, squishy strawberries, chia seeds and chopped cucumber ends. They seemed pretty happy with it and I'm not going to stress about what they eat for one day. If I had thought about it I could have run to the store and bought wheat berries to soak and ferment. I have live sauerkraut in the fridge.

Any good tips on what to feed your ladies if you run out of food?

Wondering how far out of balance my food was.

My chickens get any leftovers, some bread, vegetables, meal worms, rice, you name it , they eat it. Never had any I'll effects. Lol I don't have leftover meal worms lol. I have thrown a deer carcass in their run and they will pick it clean. Chickens are excellent feathers and will eat about anything.

For future, try to get a high capacity feeder. some of them will prevent animals eating your feed. "treadle feeder and trigger happy chicken feeder"
For now wild birds feed and most human food is suitable for chickens, if you love them cook some past or rice with mince yummy

We have a treadle feeder, that is what is being eaten from. We have also tried hanging bucket feeders and a bunch of other stuff. Part of it is our dog is extremely smart and will get to anything plus racoons, possums etc.

Crisis over, got to feedstore and bought food and peanuts. DH wanted to wait until tomorrow I said he was welcome to if he wanted to wake up from his afternoon nap with the beak of a hungry chicken between his eyes!

Lol, Glad you got some food for them! I haven't had a dog eat our chicken food before, it is manly the chickens that they want.
lol.png

Having this very issue right now.
I could tell last week that we were getting low, and so I ordered. We get our feed through Amazon and have prime so it’s usually a 2 day turnaround. Plenty of time to spare...
Now feed isn’t showing up until Tuesday! Ughh. So what can I feed them aside from scraps? I got a bunch of fruit and veg last week and cooked the veg for them. I like to give them something each day as a snack along with their food.
So we have baked sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash, cantaloupe, and I’ve given them cooked oatmeal mixed with some Greek yogurt stirred in.
Just need something give them that’s nutritious and filling to tide them over until their feed arrives.

Back
Top Bottom