EMERGENCY. One of my chickens is lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my5spuds, Jul 6, 2010.

1. my5spuds

my5spuds Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Our dog got loose this morning and frightened the chickens. The dog can't reach the coop directly but was running around barking. After I caught the dog and put her away I noticed one of the chickens was laying on the ground unable to stand. I brought her in the house and she seems alert but very weak. Is it possible she got too stressed out. The temp is mild right now (72) and there is plenty of water in the coop. Anyone have any ideas what I should do next? The dog definitely did not get a hold of her. We have 2 barriers around the coop just in case the dog gets loose.

Thanks.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Could she have passed out from fright?

3. my5spuds

May 25, 2010
    I hope that's all it is. She is walking around the living room now eating the food our younger indoor chicks have dropped. I think she may hang out indoors today just until I know for sure. My dog is around them all the time but she just walks around the yard with them when I let them loose in the mornings. My husband's dog was very aggressive towards all of the birds so maybe it did just frighten them. Our rooster started crowing as soon as the dog was gone. Not sure if he was telling my about Copper being ill or just letting me know how unhappy he was about the incident.

4. my5spuds

May 25, 2010
    Ok. Copper is still walking around the living room but she looks a little drunk. (for lack of a better word) She has her wings hanging looser than usual and isn't standing as proud as she usually does when she walks. She is also stumbling a bit. I also noticed when I picked her up that she is colder than normal. Not frigid cold but just less warm than she usually feels. She's still eating and drinking. She acts like she just has no strength.
    My son will be devastated if he comes home today and his chicken is gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by