EMERGENCY...Orphaned Baby Piglets!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MuckBucket, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MuckBucket

MuckBucket Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Tucson
    Rescued this lil gal about a month ago and have been learning a lot about this species. However I'm concerned that she may be prego? Does anyone have exprience with these mini pigs? She is very scittish and will only let me pet her when I bring her treats (greens from the garden) and then its only if Im really still and pet her head. Im worried that if she is preg then I will not be prepared, I need to know if others think she is so I can move her to a more seclusive pen, she's in a big pen with the goats right now.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Yes and very much so! She is huge! How awesome you rescued her, good luck pn the baby [​IMG]

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You will have piglets very soon.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Oh my! Very much yes!!!! How exciting! I would expect she's due anytime. She would probably calm down with you if you seclude her in a pen inside (barn,shed) with hay. She will need a dry warm place to have the piglets! I would get some books from the library if you've never had piglets. There are some things you will need to know when raising them and for helping mom out also [​IMG]

Good luck! We had our first litter last year it was so much fun!

5. MuckBucket

MuckBucket Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks for the replys! I was afraid she may be, I heard that pop bellied pigs can be rahter plump in the belly but she looks a big too plump:) Ugh now I need to get my work on for my poor little Poptart (thats what my kids named her). She will definantly need her own little pen and bedding? We live in AZ so the temps are way hot right now. In her current pen she has a kiddy pool that she loves, should I take that out, would she maybe try to have them in there if she's nervous or scared...wouldn't want them drowing.
    Also what should I use for bedding? I fear that straw would be too hot when its 110 outside? oh my I know nothing about little baby pigs! Time to start reading.
    I rescued her from a local butcher farm, I had rescued three hair sheep two weeks before and the lady new I had kids. I work at a feed store and she came in and told me that she had just received a load of 20 butcher weaner pigs and there was a pot bellied pig mixed in with the group. She said there would be no use in butchering her and if I wanted her to stop by after work because the other pigs were attempting to kill her (they were much bigger than she is). I arrove a few hours later and sure enough they were treating her like she was a football in the NFL....raming her and knocking her into the mud. She had cuts all over her and once I washed her off I noticed she had a horrid sunburn. Poor little gal was so scared, now babies on the way, wowo what a story she will have!
    Anything will help..send suggestions my way, Thanks so much.

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I'd get some shavings to put her in, keep the pool... make sure she has feed and water. You are so sweet for taking her in!!!!
    Hey, just saw youre in AZ, where are you?I'm in Vail. [​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    The pool is fine. Especially since you are in AZ, the last thing you should do is deprive her of a wallow. Pigs do not sweat, they need water (and preferably mud) to cool off.

All she needs to farrow in is a small shelter. A pallet hut, a stall, a dog house, whatever you've got will work. If it's something you can easily access her inside of, all the better. Hopefully she won't need assistance, but better safe than sorry.

Bed the shelter deeply in shavings so that she can make a nest if she desires and keep an eye on her. Because she is skittish it would be best for you to get her into a separate pen, preferably small enough that she can't run too far from you. Bring her treats as often as possible while she is in that pen. Set them on the ground and squat or sit down beside them (to make yourself appear smaller and less threatening) and just hold still. Allow her to come eat the treats on her own time. Do not try to touch her the first few times. And then, slowly, once she's comfortable eating next to you, you can begin petting her softly as she does so.

Honestly, from her appearance I wouldn't expect that you will have long enough to tame her down much before the piglets come, but you can continue after they have arrived.

I would get her into her farrowing quarters as soon as possible and remain on watch. It's best if you are around when she farrows in case she needs assistance. Reading as much as you can online about farrowing now is a good idea. Don't worry about mini pig vs big pig information farrowing is farrowing is farrowing. Her plumbing is just smaller.

There is little post-farrowing pig care that is required if everything goes well. If everything does not go well... it's a whole different ball game. Please do prepare yourself for that possibility. She may do fabulously, she may not. Because you do not know her history and she is under a lot of stress there is a possibility that things will not go well.

And as a side note, as you speak of her and where you got her please keep in mind that AHH were not intended as pets, that market is a relatively modern invention and one that has done a lot of detriment to AHH as a breed. Their original purpose -- one they continue to fulfill on many, many farms to this day -- is as the meat producing livestock that they are.

ETA: In response to the feed and water comment above. Water is important, feed is not nearly so. In fact, it's common practice to withhold feed prior to farrowing to prevent constipation problems from arising. Many pigs will go off their feed before farrowing on their own, but not all. Some have been known to take a break and eat in the middle if it's available. Because you do not know when she is due and cannot get close enough to her to find out your hands are tied as far as withholding it at a certain time, but if you feed her just once or twice a day right now, a limited amount, it will not hurt her and could avoid complications. It's not a huge risk, but there is some old wisdom there that says it's a good idea to watch out for it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  8. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    And one other thing, if you have a chute or can construct a make shift one to run her into and check her it may not be a bad idea. Especially if you do it on the way to the new pen. If you can restrain her and check her teats, when you can express a few droplets of colostrum you are within 12-24 hours.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Be careful with the water and mud access to piglets they can get stuck in the mud and/or drown.

Good luck!

10. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    No... not at all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by