Emergency: Pipping chick stuck! We have a chick that has pipped many h

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Momma_Cluck, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We have a chick that has pipped many hours ago, the membrane is dried out, and she has given up trying to break out.

She is still moving and breathing, but is not peeping/making any noise.

We have done what was told in fowlweatherfriends tutorial, but she won't even try to break through the inner membrane. What do we do? This is our first time to hatch an egg, and we are completely at a loss.

Any advice will be VERY appreciated!

2. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    momma

it can take several hours for a chick to hatch after pipping. I have had them pip and then not hatch for over 12 hours, so without knowing exactly how long ago your egg pipped i am hesitant to give much advice.

If it has been over 12 hours or more and you feel you need to intervene(sp) then you can take the egg and gently chip off some of the area that has been pipped. I use a needle or pin and carefully slide the head of the needle in the egg just enough to get a hold and pry up breaking small portions until i have freed the chick or til i think i have helped break enough of the egg that the chick can do the rest. If at any point you see any blood you should stop and wait a little while.

They are pretty tough little suckers and as long as they are breathing inside the egg there is a good possibility that they are just resting getting ready to zip out by themselves, they can go several days without food or water.

Just my two cents hope i have helped.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    What is a few hours? Sometimes it takes chicks 24 hours to come out of the shell. Just because the membrane where the chick pipped is dried, doesn't mean the whole membrane is dried out.

What I've done before is take the chick out and have a warm glass of water next to you. Keep the temp about the same temp as the chick. And very gently take your fingers and peel the top of the egg off. Keep your fingers wet and get the membrane very moist and gently rub the membrane to where it comes off.

If you see blood when you do this stop, the chick isn't ready. If you do not see blood, take about half of the eggshell and membrane off and put the chick back in the incubator. More than likely if the chick is healthy and if the only thing that was wrong was a dried membrane, the chick will come out.

If he is crippled or just too week he will just lay there, if this is the case he was doomed from the start. Just do the best you can with him and see if he comes through.

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
  5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thanks All!
    We gently picked off most of the shell- the inner memberane was totally dried out like thick paper.... we wet it and held her (?) to keep her warm--- and now--

TAA DAA!! The Christmas Chick is here!

So far so good! She is peeping and trying to get up ... and has imprinted on us-- she tries so hard to get up if I go in and talk to her!

Thank You all for your help! [​IMG]

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Yay!!!! Congratulations!!!!! [​IMG]

Well done new mom. [​IMG]

7. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Congratulations!