Emergency please give edvice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by homestead 101, Jan 2, 2017.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I have 1 hen with really bad frostbite, and two with just Minor injury. But the weird thing is I have another hen with the bigger comb and she has no sign of frost bite what can I do to prevent and help treat this. Please help

More bedding
    Clean coop

What should I do

2. joycespell

joycespell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    Something you can do for the ones with frost bite, is massage the area to promote blood flow. It might help with the frostbite, but wont cure it completely. The coop should be draft free but well ventilated. What injuries do the other two have?

3. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Just a few little tips with frost bite that's it

4. joycespell

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    I have a few roosters that have had substantial frostbite on their combs from sleeping in trees in winter, and its never caused any long term problems for me, the best thing you can do is just massage the tips to try to get some blood flowing, and make sure the coop is
    dyr, draft free, and ventilated to keep moisture from settling on the combs. Frostbite can also be caused by the birds standing in cold wind for extended periods of time

5. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    I am bringing her inside just till I see improvements

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Is keeping her inside a good idea

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There is nothing you can do for the blackened parts of the comb: they are likely dead and will fall off eventually on their own, leaving healthy tissue underneath. I would, however,gently coat the comb with vaseline and/or antibiotic ointment to moisturize the injured areas, guard against infection, and help prevent further damage.

If you can keep the hen inside for a little while, that would be a good idea. I would also make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation (without direct drafts on the birds) and is dry (cleaning out moist droppings can help with this). Beyond that, you could consider adding a safe heat source to the coop, such as a secure, well-wired heat lamp or small space heater kept out of contact with any birds.

10. joycespell

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    No problem lol. Just saying what I did for my boys:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by