Emergency Please Help Me......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dianer29, Jan 26, 2010.

1. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My 23 week old Silkie is sneezing or coughing. I do not see anything dripping or impairing her nasal passages. Should I purchase poly visol no iron store brand if I can get it and how do I get it in her? I am so worried ...................She ate a little banana this morning that I noticed. Please someone who had this in the past please respond as soon as you can. I feel helpless.................I t just started this am, here it is 1030 am right now in Hawaii.They are housed temporily in runs that are covered in attached garage.I have 7 Silkies in the flock.What about Vetx (spelled wrong)I do not have any thouigh and supplies are extremely hard to come by here on the island. Someone please help??????????

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Is she sneezing and coughing a lot, or just now and then? Maybe she has a little piece of banana stuck inside her beak - I think there's a little hole in there that is not supposed to get anything in it. I'm not sure about this, because I can't remember exactly what I read. I have read some posts on bananas killing their birds...but I think it was because the bird at a LOT of banana.
    Try to stay calm...someone who knows a lot more than me should answer you soon. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer - maybe you could repost your problem with an EMERGENCY - PLEASE HELP in the title.

3. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    What is your silkie bedded on? We had a similar problem with a batch of chicks, and it was because the hay I had put in with them was very dusty, so the dust was making them sneeze.

4. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    THEY ARE ON THEIR PINE SHAVINGS AND i SWEEP ALOT WITH WINDOWS OPEN DURING DAY . SORRY FOR CAPS

5. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    I hand feed banana to each chook. So I know she ate small amount. I am going to step away to go recheck her.............

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Can you describe the sneeze/cough? Because sometimes my silkies do something like a sneeze that sounds like a toot. For right now, i would isolate her and watch her carefully. If it does turn out to be an upper respiratory issue, i have read that Tylan is the drug of choice.

7. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My Silkies also make a funny little 'toot' sound - like forced air popping out of their nostrils - reminds me of a little foreign car.

8. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    lol, my silkies do that, i thought it was just a sound they made! I have a silky cross that does it too lol

9. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    none of mine do it ,this one started this am I will keep a watch on her What about medication ? Is a reliable relatively safe med that I should give her/them and how do I administer it?Side effects? It is like a toot .............but not very loud.Tylan ,where purchased ,etc? Thank you all!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    if its just a wee infection, a good generalised antibiotic is Baytril. Its a soluble solution administered either by syringe directly to the chook or into their drinking water. Only downside, as far as I know, its only available from a vet, unless its different legality in Hawaii from the uk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by