EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckymuma, May 3, 2016.

1. duckymuma

duckymuma Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    This is my first time hatching eggs ever. I hatched three healthy calls in one batch and only have one left from the other. In the first batch of eggs, there were at least 7 fully developed ducks already in their air sac dead. I think it may have had to do with the humidity unfortunately. So this one egg was due to hatch Sunday (2 days ago) which was a day after the first three hatched. After I found all of those ones dead, I read up on helping out this one since it wasp adt due already. I read that it was okay to assist in the hatching by making a hole where the air sac is. So I did. And put it back in the incubator for another day. This morning, I was worried it may have been shrink wrapped, so I brought it in the bathroom with the humidity as high as I could get it and started breaking away the egg shell. I found the duckling moving around, looking like it was trying to get out. So I made a tiny little hole in the membrane and stopped because I saw a little blood. I then used a qtip and wet the membrane. When I did that I noticed there was still a lot of yellow underneath the duck. I have no idea what that means. I assumed it was the yolk still but makes no sense cuz it's on day 29 now. So I wrapped it in a wet cloth and put it back in the incubator. I have been wetting it occasionally, and it's still alive. I don't know what to do. And what is that yellow? Could it still not have developed?? I'm sorry this is so long but I really need help. Pleaseeee. And thank you so much for reading this!!!

2. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    The yellow is the yolk. Regardless of what day you are on now, the blood vessels have to recede and the yolk has to absorb before the duckling can survive out of the shell.

Your incubator temperatures may be too low or you may have miscounted your days. I label the day an egg was started in the incubator and the expected due date because I have calculated 21 days on duck eggs following a batch of chicken eggs going into the incubator and realized my mistake a few weeks later.

It sounds like you have done what you can so give it time and see if it will progress on its own.

Last edited: May 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by