Emergency Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adri_San27, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Adri_San27

Adri_San27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I had some Coturnix quail hatch 2 weeks ago. All of them are getting bigger and growing in nice feathers except for one. It still looks like its a day or two old from the size and has no new feathers. I noticed this morning that it was lethargic. When I came home from work it was even worse. I took it out of the brooder and away from the other chicks, It's alive but is unresponsive if I touch / move it. This little guy isn't going to make it and I want to put it out of its misery. I don't have ether or chloroform, or the guts to wring its neck. Any other options??
    :'(

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have the guts to do it just take a sharp pair of scissors and cut it's head off into a plastic bag. I had one that was just to weak to survive and I should of put it out of it's suffering, but I didn't he passed sometime during the night. [​IMG] it's a hard thing to do but sometimes it's the best. I wish I would of done it for my baby quail. [​IMG] your doing the best thing you can do

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, snipping off the head is fast and relatively painless. If you are concerned about hurting it, bonk its head on the countertop first to stun it. It sounds like failure to thrive, which is common in coturnix.

4. Adri_San27

Adri_San27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I'm glad I didn't have to snip it. I put it in its own box, and and I checked an hour later and it was dead : /

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your little quail chick. It's heartbreaking and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by