Emergency, Please Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I had a Duck and a chick start Pipping last evening, Thought I would wake up to chicks and ducks, But nothing more has changed, Still the same little hole, The Humididty was down to 16% and the temp down to 96, I can hear the Chick Chirping, Do I help or leave it alone, I dont want them to die!! Any Ideas

2. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I would say leave it alone! If it is chirping it is still alive, let it work it's way out [​IMG]

3. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Ok, I am trying, just so hard to watch, and with the humidity drop that low I am afrraid he is gonna get stuck and die, I tried to raise it back up to 35%, but not going to good. I will be so sad if they dont make it, I was so excited!!!

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Have you tried sneaking in a wet sponge? One lady draped a wet/damp towel over her incubator so she could open it a little bit to get a soaked sponge in it. Can you see their beaks at all? Are they still making sounds? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    The Chick is Chirping but has not broke the membrane just the shell, and the Duck, Has just cracked the egg, Nothing more, and its been about 17 hours now, and no more progress, I only opened to check chick, didnt check the duck, scared to touch them, but I am more scared I am gonna loose them, is there anything I can do to help them, I did add a cup of water, and wetted a paper towel and put in there

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:If they are trying to hatch you should get the humidity up to around 70% or they may get stuck from there not being enough moisture. Also I would try to get the temperature up to around 99º to 100º. Good luck... [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What kind of incubator do you have? I would also put a wet sponge, wet cloth or wet paper towel in the incubator to get the humidity up.

8. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I know I have read that ducks need a much higher humidity to hatch. If your humidity was down really low, the membrane might have dried out and become to hard to rip....don't rip it for them. But if it's dry, you might try dampening the membrane with a warm wet cloth...punch the humidity up in the bator over 50%, if they break the membrane themselves, at that point you can try helping them out of shells if it comes to it.

I tried do break a dried membrane after it pipped once, and the chick must not have been ready or in the right position...it drowned and died almost immediately.

Good luck and keep us posted!

9. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:X2 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

definately get the humidity up to at least 70% a wet sponge will work or cloth use warm water but watch and see what happens I have had to take mine out before when they made there hole or cracked the shell I used a qtip and warm water and kept wetting it so it did not shrink wrap and it worked for me all of them still alive.... good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by