Emergency!!!!! Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyredstarhen, Dec 7, 2013.

1. happyredstarhen

happyredstarhen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    I have a at least a year old gold buff hen she's acting very unnormal shes off by her self on the ground and doesn't want to move much she's not eating and has runny poop I'm not quit so good at chicken anatomy to tell you what it looks like or feel for it... I've tried to pick her up and set her down to get her to walk but she just stumbles and lays back down please help any information will be greatly appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she, and have you gotten her recently or added other chickens to your flock? Coccidiosis might be a problem. Has she had a Mareks vaccine? Look her over for lice and mites, especially around the vent. Has she been wormed recently? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, sitting puffed up, paleness, diarrhea, and poor appetite. Corid (amprollium) available in powder or liquid is the treatment for 5 days. You can also use Sulmet and sulfadimethoxine to treat it.

3. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013
    I'm not quite sure of her age she was givin to me by my fiancees cousin along with 5 more I have had her for 5 months now she was a normal hen and I looked for mites and lice on her but I don't know what a vent is...

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vent or cloaca is the common opening where the chicken passes stool, urine, and lays eggs from. The eggs come from a different channel. She should be immune to the coccidia in your yard by her age now. Many chicken diseases have similar symptoms, so sometimes you have to rule things out first. Mareks disease is a horrible disease that can cause paralysis, stumbling, tumors, blindness, and other problems. I would worm her with Safeguard horse paste, a pea sized amount first thing if she hasn't been wormed lately, then repeat in 10 days. What color is her poop? Pictures always help. Here is some info: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi.../Chapter3_Anatomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3.pdf
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

5. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013
    Her stool is really runny like water its a clear yellow color but mucousey with a pea sized black firmer stool in it.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to diagnose a chicken over the internet, but blackhead or histomoniasis can infect chickens from a cecal worm. This can cause sulfur yellow diarrhea. It can be treated with fenbendazole or safeguard paste or liquid wormer 50 mg per every 2.2 pounds of body weight daily for 3 days straight, then repeat in 10 days for 3 more days. Flagyl or metronidazole 250 mg is also given by mouth daily for 5 days. Other diseases that cause yellow diarrhea is E.coli infection. If you can get a poo sample checked by your vet for worms, they may be able to tell you if she has his.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013
    Thank you sooo much I would never forgive my self if my hen would of passed away

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can always post a picture of the droppings or your chicken. Trying to find out what is wrong with a chicken is easier if you rule out other things first.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here is are poop pictures from two peachicks that died of blackhead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013
    Oh no the second picture is exactly what it looks like!!!! Oh please tell me I can make her better!!!! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by