EMERGENCY please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChucktheChick, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hi guys- my chicken Simon (black breasted red old English game bantam) is very sick. Here in Iowa, the temperatures have been around anywhere ranging from -10 to 20 degrees. The chickens are in my barn. It is around 0 degrees in there. I have been told not to have a heating source because I the power goes out they will get cold and go in shock. So I don't have anything in there. Simon is about a year old. He's a rooster. I found him laying down in the coop with his girls. I now have him in the garage with a heating pad underneath of a blanket for him to maybe warm up. He opens his eyes occasionally and is drinking some water at little bits at a time with a dropper. He opens his mouth for us and swallows. I'm so sorry for him. I think he has frostbite on his crown and wattles. What do I do? [​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    [​IMG]

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Update: Simon can lift his head on his own and is very alert. He has finally gotten warm.

4. chickensgawk

chickensgawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    Is the coop insulated? If not it should be. I live were it gets 20 degrees and my coops insulated. Sometimes I think the coops warmer than the house. It looks like Simon has a frostbitten comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by