emergency prolapsed oviduct not staying in

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smallflock3, Sep 9, 2010.

1. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I have an emergency with a young cochin that started laying too soon. She laid one egg yesterday and this evening her oviduct prolapsed. my husband got a rubbery egg out of it and got the oviduct back in. by the time i got home it was way out and now i am holding her in my arms trying to hold it in but she is crying and trying tp push it out as she has to poop too. what do i do? help me

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is vet an option?

Try using sugar or honey on the prolapse. It is supposed to help keep it in.

Also try keeping her in dim light to try to limit her laying.

It might need surgery to keep it in.

You also might need to push it in several times.

Good luck
    Imp

Here's one thread about it here. Lots more in search
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388579&p=2

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    One of my girls took over a week to resolve a prolapse. Keep her in a small, dark enclosed area (I used a small dog carrier). Put antibiotic cream/ointment on the prolapse (without pain killer). Put KY on it a couple - three times/day so that it does not dry out and when she decides to relax and pull it back in, it will happen smoothly. I have also had success with holding a hen in a warm bath for a half hour or so.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=157703

Good luck and don't panic.

4. smallflock3

Apr 9, 2009
    so should i not try to hold the oviduct in? i have been sitting here holding it in but she is trying to push it out. there is a little blood and some poop.

5. Chicken Boo

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Sorry. Went to bed.

Holding it in will not do any good if she does not relax. All she knows is that there is something uncomfortable back there and she needs to get rid of it.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Don't try to hold it in. Prep H works good, depending on how bad the prolapse is. Just keep her separated and quiet. Keep the prolapse clean. It can take several days sometimes for the swelling to go down. After it goes back in, there's always a greater possibilty that it will happen again, so you'll always have keep an eye out for that. Hope this helps and hope she gets better.

7. smallflock3

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I was slow getting back on because I was holding her. Ended up soaking her again. Took her to the Vet this morning and they were so busy they got me to leave her. I wish I hadn't because they never got to her so I went back and got her after 6 hours but they did give me antibiotics. The Vet is going to meet me tomorrow morning to see her. Her prolapse looks bad, some of the skin is drying and turning funny colors and she's still passing a small amount of blood and egg like substance or it could be urine. I soaked her again and put more KY jelly on her but she did eat. I have her inside in a carrier on a blanket. The soaking seems to help and I'm sure it feels better to her. God, why does this have to happen to the poor hens? But anyway thanks again for the help!

8. Chicken Boo

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Your description sounds like my little girl. I just kept her confined, quiet, in the dark and lubricated. It took a week and a half, but the situation resolved without a vet. It looked terrible a few time and hadme worried. Hang in there.

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had one where I had to push it back in a couple times.

10. smallflock3

Apr 9, 2009
    Well, I did get her to the Vet as she met me this morning and cleaned stuff off of the prolapse. She gave me some antibiotic/steroid cream to pump into her and around her cloaca. She was a trooper (the Vet) coming to meet me as she is very sick too but I did not know this. "Chicken Boo" the treatment sounds just like what you said except I'm using this cream twice a day and giving her liquid antibiotics. I did make her a perch in a slightly larger cage and wrapped it with extra Vet Wrap I had, still with towels and a blanket in the bottom and she seemed to like this better because she's a percher. Thanks for the replies, I was panicking but you guys really helped. I will follow up with this thread as it may help someone else one day. The Vet did say Prep H would work too but the cream she gave me has an antibiotic in it. She did say to soak/wash her with cool water as this would help the shrinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by