Emergency quail food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pippy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Pippy

Pippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    I went down to my local feed store for the 3rd time this week, and they're still out of quail food (each time they told me it would be a few days). I'm down to about a days worth of food now. What can I feed them until they get some in? Wheat? Lentils? Scrambled eggs? Dried peas? I need something easily found - not a bunch of hard to find specialty ingredients. I have whole wheat kernels.

They are even out of chick (chicken chicks) food, the only food they had was giant 50lb bags of chicken food with only about 10% protein. Would rather wait than buy a giant bag that would take a year to get through.

2. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    I've had this problem before. If they have laying crumbles for chickens, I buy that and give them hard boiled eggs to help increase protein. Laying crumbles are normally medicated, but for short periods, I haven't had any problems. Make sure to boil the eggs well and crush them up, shell and all.

I learned my lesson and always buy an extra month's worth of food,just in case. It has happened too many times for my comfort.

Soaking and sprouting parakeet seed also increases it's nutrients. Soak seeds over night then drain them in a pasta strainer. Rinse the seeds 3 times a day for 3 days and feed to your birds. This is an inexpensive way to introduce greens into their diet. Soaked seeds should smell slightly sweet. Don't feed seeds that smell spoiled.

I have heard that some people have even used crushed dog food in a pinch. I haven't tried this, but be very careful with protein levels in dog food. In my experience, too much protein can cause more problems quicker than too little. Of course, this is only for extremely short term use.

You also might try going online and ordering 5 pounds of gamebird food for the time being. Shipping makes it costly, but it should be worth a try.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    In a pinch, many times I have used chicken chick starter. It is usually between 18% and 20% protein. If you can find Turkey food, it is also somewhere between 24% and 26%. If you can find Purina Flock Raiser for chickens, it is 20% protein. You can then add things like calf manna, which is a protein supplement, or Farmers Helper Ultra Kibble which is also a protein supplement. If you don't have access to any protein supplements you can add hard boiled eggs to their diet each day along with some mealworms.

But I too like to buy more food than I need. Keep it stored in the frig or freezer so it lasts for several months.

4. shimzilla

shimzilla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Finch seed is usually easy to get hold of and if they are laying then scramble up some of their own eggs for extra protein, I give my quails layers mash as well, a little bag in pets at home. Also sprouts, brocalli, dandelions, mealworms.

hope that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by