Emergency rearranging

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
Someone, either the roos, non broody hens or one of the broodys has killed all 3 chicks that have hatched in the last 2 days. The broodys are now locked in the coop with food and water to see if they can hatch and let live. To make room for the roos and non broodies to go somewhere else, I had to slap the last of the duck house together and move the 3 wks old duckling out of the big brooder. So the ducks went in the duck house, the roos and hens went into the brooder and the broodies are tucked in their coop.

If the broodies aren't the ones killing chicks and they manage to hatch some I'll have to figure out where to put the roos for at least a couple weeks. So much for my relaxing weekend.

LOL That's the fun with having critters like that....we keep adding and then we don't know where to put them. Good Luck!
Why don't you put the broodies in the brooder and if they give you any trouble with killing the chicks then toss them back into the coop and you've got the chicks in the brooder already.
I've gone through that already - I have a marans brooding right now for 5 wks already. When her first batch of chicks hatched she wasn't happy with them so to keep them alive I took them away and finished hatching in the bator. I put more eggs under her but 8 of them are blue silkies and I sure want them hatched and healthy so I might take them away from her too. I've got a red silkie on 4 eggs and a blue one on 10 eggs and another red just going broody now so I have a few to slip under her.

Ran into the same problem. White silkie has been broody for over 6 weeks. Left her 3 eggs, finally hatched out one but she was not happy and just kept sitting, 2 days later I took the chick which is now in the brooder. the hen is still being broody and now has a companion that wants to be broody with her. I really do not need any more chicks this year.

Back
Top Bottom