Emergency? see below

feathersforever

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 22, 2012
I have three white leghorn pullets. Today, one sat in the nesting box for over an hour while the other two did their free ranging. They love that and to sit in the box and not be outside is not normal. Anyway, one sat in the nesting box for over an hour and didn't leave an egg. I just looked her over and could not find any bugs/lice crawling on her but she has no feathers on her belly. The underside of her is rather hard too compared to the other two. She seems to be walking normal and I tried to watch her backside for pulsing but did not see her do that. Could she be egg bound? How long do I have before I need to help her? That sounds like I don't want to help. Not so. I just don't know how long it will take for someone to answer and don't want her to be in any sort of pain.

It sounds like it's her first time to lay an egg. She might be eggbound. Tomorrow if she sets on the nest for over an hour, get her off the nest and place her in a container of warm water up to her sides. Then gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes while she's soaking in the warm water. The warm water will relax her and expand her innards. The massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll then lay an egg.
Once Leghorns start laying eggs, they dont mess around and waste no time getting off the nest announcing that they'd laid an egg. Then they go about their business of foraging as usual.

Thank you for the response.

My three leghorns have been laying for about a year and a half. Starting several months back I was only getting one or two eggs a day and that has continued ever since. I read somewhere that pullets will take a break every 26 or so days but these never did until several months back. After laying for about a year steady. The one that I'm concerned about is pretty lethargic. I did the 20 or so minute warm soak, gently massaging her lower end from the bottom. She pretty much pulsed the whole time but did not release anything. When I was using the blow dryer on her, she took a catnap. She must have liked that for a minute or two! I didn't get her totally dry so now I have her in a dog kennel on a heating pad. But what would cause her to loose feathers on her bottom side near her rear? Can that be a symptom of something else? Or would she pluck them out because she has a problem in that area? The warm bath didn't see to solve the problem. Please advise.

Since you referred to your Leghorns as "pullets" in your first post, I figured that they had just come into lay, not knowing they are hens over a year old. Birds dont take a break every 26 days, that's misinformation. They take a break whenever it occurs, molt is a good example. Some types of stress can cause them to stop laying as well. I've owned hatchery Leghorns and their egg laying started slowing down quite abit around the 2 year mark, almost like they're burned out.
Inspect your birds for lice/mites. They may need to be wormed. You could also be dealing with a feather picker which may suggest a lack of sufficient protein in their diet. Feed them gamebird feed if this is the case.

Doesn't it drive you nuts when people don't know what they're talking about?!?! Sorry, newbies have a lot to learn and we do try. Hard.

About the feed. I buy a local feed they call 18% for laying hens. It says on the bag that you don't even need to supplement additional calcium. I did at first until I actually read the bag and the girls have good shells without the additional calcium. They've had that feed since they were converted to the adult food. Could it still be lacking something all of a sudden? Do their bodies/chemistry change with age?

I did inspect her body last night but did not see any critters on her. I can check again to be sure.

The worming. I can do some research on that, but my question is can you still eat their eggs when you do that?

Bless all you angels for putting up with us! But THANK YOU!!!!!!

Doesn't it drive you nuts when people don't know what they're talking about?!?! Sorry, newbies have a lot to learn and we do try. Hard.

About the feed. I buy a local feed they call 18% for laying hens. It says on the bag that you don't even need to supplement additional calcium. I did at first until I actually read the bag and the girls have good shells without the additional calcium. They've had that feed since they were converted to the adult food. Could it still be lacking something all of a sudden? Do their bodies/chemistry change with age?

I did inspect her body last night but did not see any critters on her. I can check again to be sure.

The worming. I can do some research on that, but my question is can you still eat their eggs when you do that?

Bless all you angels for putting up with us! But THANK YOU!!!!!!
LOL. Everything is fine, dont worry about it.
cool.png

The feed sounds good and it doesnt sound like they're lacking anything in that area. Purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer 125ml bottle, it doesnt cost much and will last you for awhile. If your feed store doesnt carry it, Jefferslivestock.com has it or you can call them. You'll need a syringe without a needle to administer it orally. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each bird. Then redose them again in 10 days. Toss the eggs in the garbage or give them to your dogs 14 days after the last dosing. Altogether there's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom