EMERGENCY SEVERE BRAIN INJURY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheEggCollecter, Mar 21, 2015.

1. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Please help! This year I hatched out five Rhodebar chicks. All were female. They are 19 weeks old and showing signs of sexual maturity. One of the pullets as hole in its head! I don't know how this happened maybe he cut it on the fence or the others pullets pecked at him. I don't think it would be the other hens because they have been with each other for a while. Maybe a predator! I don't know but this is really bad. I have include pictures below. THEY ARE GRAPHIC! She is in excruciating pain and her brain is exposed. I don't want to lose her and I can't bear to see her like this. PLEASE HELP!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I need advice and help. I don't know if I should put anything on it because it's her brain.

3. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

I would call a vet IMMEDIATELY! That is terrible I'm so sorry! I hope they can do something quickly. How is he acting?

4. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes

I'm trying but no one treats poultry around here. She is still conscience but is not doing well. Almost in a frozen state. I think she is in shock.

5. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    If anyone has any ideas on home remedies or treatments anything would help. I'm desperate and I think she might be in shock

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Try giving her some water with a small amount of sugar in it...keep her warm...maybe indoors...she needs to conserve her energy for healing...

7. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes

Thank you so much.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You can try giving her baby aspirin for her pain...if you have any at home..

9. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
  10. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes

Yes I am considering taking her to a vet closer to Boston. Although I know I will pay an arm and a leg to have her treated there. I have her drinking sugar water and just got her to eat warm hard boiled egg. In going to see how she does. Does anybody know if there is anything I can do to treat the wound. I don't want infection to set in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by