**EMERGENCY** SHOTGUN WOUND TO ROOSTER'S WING! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emach0301, Nov 27, 2012.

1. emach0301

emach0301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Tryon, Oklahoma
    Some hunters were hunting on my land and had shot my Barred Rock Rooster thinking he was a turkey, or a quail. Well, My rooster is missing some of his primary feather on his wing. And it looks like a decent chunk of meat is pretty torn up on his wing where it bends. It looks like it should have had stitches, but Im sure its too late now. He is eating and drinking well, and hes already back to topping the hens. You can tell hes in pain when you open his wing to get a good look at it. But what should I do, so far I have only used Vetrycyn, as I dont really know if he'll let me touch his wound good enough to wash really well, and put neosporin on it. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Emily

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried Blue Kote?

Works wonders on wounds like that.

Hope he's okay.. He sure is lucky to have survived that. Those hunters should have known better.. :rant

3. emach0301

Jun 21, 2012
    Tryon, Oklahoma
    Have no idea what Blue Kote is, and where can I get it. Im open to trying anything for him! Thank you for the advice!

4. aoxa

Any farm store carries it. :)

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/137269/a-warning-about-blue-kote

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. emach0301

Jun 21, 2012
    Tryon, Oklahoma
    Thank you so much Aoxa!!! You are an Angel! I will give it a try!

6. aoxa

No problem! Hoping for a speedy recovery :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by