1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGENCY Sick Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rainwolfeh, Sep 5, 2015.

1. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    3 days or so ago we bought four yearling chickens from a local hatchery. Blue, the barred rock, appeared to have a broken foot but seemed to get around decently. Last night I found her laying in the nest box but didn't worry. Today, however, she seems completely unable to move. About an hour ago she was given water. The other chickens had appeared to be pecking at her all day (really guilty that this happened) and she was flat out on her chest with her butt in the air. We picked her up and slimy clear liquid dribbled out of her mouth. We removed her and her crop feels like a water balloon and completely mushy. Going to separate her but don't know I she will make the night. Gave her food and she seems interested but barely ate anything at all.

Please help.

[​IMG]

She just passed what appears to be clear foamy liquid with a yellow tint. Very lethargic.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    It sounds like impacter or sour crop from your description. Please go to the learning center tab and look under maintaining a healthy flock. There is a piece named sour or impacted crop.
    I have never experienced this so I can't be more helpful, sorry! [​IMG]

3. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you! We emptied her crop and she looks like she's a look more bright eyed. Moved her inside and she started eating the damp food right way. Definitely not as bad as before, thank goodness.

4. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    If you give her yogurt or apple cider vinegar (in her water) to get healthy bacteria in her crop, it hopefully won't become sour again. Hopefully the food she ate will pass normally.

5. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you, I will try that first thing in the morning.

6. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Unfortunately, about a week after separation from the others and care Blue passed away. : ( We're not sure what caused it, but we're going to miss her a lot. She was a sweet girl, and at least when she left she was quiet and safe.

7. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry for your loss. At least you know she gave it a good shot with your love & care...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by