Emergency sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gallidaihia, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Gallidaihia

Gallidaihia New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    I know the answer is probably here but I don't have time to search. After losing half my flock to predators I've lost 2 of my hens in the last few days. I'm not sure why I noticed they've lost some feathers under there vent and had seen a few w diharea but these two when they died didn't have any thing. Both died squezed I to corners the second one looks like she was half way through laying an egg. I'm trying to raise w out antibiotics. And I'm emotionally physically and financially drained I need help . I'm starting a small farm to work with the disabled and children who have been physically sexualy and emotionally abused. I just don't know what to do I can't lose more chickens. They are I. An open air coop In deep litter.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It sounds like one chickens was egg bound. This is usually resulting from a calcium deficiency--sometimes they don't get enough in their diet (layer feed plus crushed oyster shell on the side for free feeding,) or they may have problems processing the calcium. With diarrhea , there is always a possibility that coccidiosis is killing some of your chickens, especially if any new chickens were added recently, or they have been moved. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment. Symptoms--pale skin and combs, diarrhea, sometimes with blood, puffing up into a ball, poor appetite, and ruffled feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by