EMERGENCY - Silkie Aspirated in Bath?!

Jun 7, 2022
Please help. I’m scared my silkie panicked during her first bath and has aspirated herself by breathing in water. What can I do? Panicking.

How is she doing now?

About all you can do is stay calm. Move her to a quiet area and see how she does.
If it's cold, then you'll need to dry her, a hairdryer on low is helpful for that.

What is the reason for the bath?

How is she doing now?

About all you can do is stay calm. Move her to a quiet area and see how she does.
If it's cold, then you'll need to dry her, a hairdryer on low is helpful for that.

What is the reason for the bath?
She seems alright and has been active and eating today. After I suspected aspiration I held her at an angle and gave her a little squeeze which seemed to help force water out of her lungs. Not sure if that was the right move, but I had to do something 😅
I was able to blow dry her and she’s back with the others. I’m not sure how quickly symptoms of aspiration would appear- I suppose it’s a waiting game and all I can do is monitor her. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have seen people talking about how they bathe their silkies to keep them fluffy and soft so I thought I would give it a try. She also has lice eggs still stuck to her feathers (even though the lice are gone and were treated with Elector PSP, the nits are still cemented on) and I hoped that bathing would help. Never again, I’ll stick with dirt baths.

She seems alright and has been active and eating today. After I suspected aspiration I held her at an angle and gave her a little squeeze which seemed to help force water out of her lungs. Not sure if that was the right move, but I had to do something 😅
I was able to blow dry her and she’s back with the others. I’m not sure how quickly symptoms of aspiration would appear- I suppose it’s a waiting game and all I can do is monitor her. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have seen people talking about how they bathe their silkies to keep them fluffy and soft so I thought I would give it a try. She also has lice eggs still stuck to her feathers (even though the lice are gone and were treated with Elector PSP, the nits are still cemented on) and I hoped that bathing would help. Never again, I’ll stick with dirt baths.
:hugs I'm glad to hear she's doing o.k.!

Monitoring her for a few days is a good idea. If she's active and eating, she's probably fine. If you notice any symptoms like gurgling, wheezing or similar, then there's cause for concern. You would likely see symptoms in a few days if she were going to get sick from aspiration.

Oh, poor thing! Well, coconut oil applied to the lice eggs will help unglue them, but then you'll end up with an oily bird LOL The oil would wear off eventually during dust bathing though. Some folks do bath their birds to keep them fluffy or for shows, so I was just wondering if that's what you were preparing for.

Back
Top Bottom