Emergency! Sour Crop!

R1V3R20NG

Songster
6 Years
Nov 2, 2017
Not here...
Sassy has been jerking her neck around and we have diagnosed it as sour crop. Her crop feels like putty. we inverted her and rubbed her crop so that she would regurgitate but she won't. She is now in the quarantine zone with apple cider vinegar mixed in with the water and we are about to put some organic whole milk sugar free yogurt in there for her. No grains.

Greetings R1V3R20NG,

It is better not to regurgitate your hen, she could get fluid in her airway. That will be fatal, as she will aspirate.

Isolate the hen in a dog crate or room where you can monitor her progress.

Here is my treatment for crop issues.

First thing in the morning, check her crop. If it doesn't feel flat, then you know it didn't empty.
  • Put on a crop bra, if the hen has a pendulous crop.

• Make some crop tonic, feed her 1 mL before she goes to sleep or first thing in the morning if crop hasn't emptied. The crop tonic will kill any yeast.

• Finally, give her crop a gentle massage, several times a day.

• Provide fresh water daily, no ACV, if using crop tonic.

Also, look to see if she pooped. If she did, that's good. Maybe her crop is emptying slowly. Look at her body language, is the tail up, eyes alert, good color in the comb and wattles, is she active and ready for the day?

You will have to make a ritual of checking on her each day, after returning her to the flock, till you are feeling comfortable that she is OK.

Here is my recipe for Crop Tonic.

Crop Tonic:
1 tsp. thick yogurt with at least 3 bacteria cultures in it.
1 drop, Oregano Oil (not essential oil)
4 drops Coconut Oil, melted or Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
4 drops water

Mix in a shot glass, stir well, and administer 1 mL, orally with syringe.

Small meals of wet mash, one diced grape for a treat. I would not feed pellets right now. Moist, Ground feed/mash is easier to digest.

God Bless! :)

Back
Top Bottom