Emergency stuck chick! Please help!

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
I suspect I few of my chicks might be stuck but I know 1 is. Long story short one of its hatch mates kicked it upside down mid zip and it was unable to finish zipping. This resulted in the chick sticking to the inside of the shell. It was very very clearly stuck when I added coconut oil earlier in an attempt to loosen it. The chick is completely unable to move and I’m not entirely sure it’s still alive. Please help and I’m sorry if any of my attempts to explain don’t make sense as I was up with the chicks most of the night and haven’t slept more than 45min in a row in over 40 hours.

I suspect I few of my chicks might be stuck but I know 1 is. Long story short one of its hatch mates kicked it upside down mid zip and it was unable to finish zipping. This resulted in the chick sticking to the inside of the shell. It was very very clearly stuck when I added coconut oil earlier in an attempt to loosen it. The chick is completely unable to move and I’m not entirely sure it’s still alive. Please help and I’m sorry if any of my attempts to explain don’t make sense as I was up with the chicks most of the night and haven’t slept more than 45min in a row in over 40 hours.
Chicken or duck?

The 2nd chick is up and walking!
I peeled the shell off above the air cell and loosened the membrane with oil. After 4 or 5 hours of no progress I removed shell until the head free and applied more coconut oil. 3 hours later the chick was still stuck but was struggling which is when I realized the membrane had glued the chick’s wing to its head and I had to remove that portion of the membrane and applied more oil. I went to sleep and about an when I woke up 2 hours later the chick had pushed free of the shell and the membrane. It’s finally up and walking though it has a few pieces of shell stuck too it. Once the other finish hatching I’ll clean the oil off of it so it fluffs properly and but it back in the incubator to dry.
TLDR: chick needed more help but is doing good.
3FC96434-D1B4-4DC4-8AC4-C4F86134149C.jpeg

The 2nd chick is up and walking!
I peeled the shell off above the air cell and loosened the membrane with oil. After 4 or 5 hours of no progress I removed shell until the head free and applied more coconut oil. 3 hours later the chick was still stuck but was struggling which is when I realized the membrane had glued the chick’s wing to its head and I had to remove that portion of the membrane and applied more oil. I went to sleep and about an when I woke up 2 hours later the chick had pushed free of the shell and the membrane. It’s finally up and walking though it has a few pieces of shell stuck too it. Once the other finish hatching I’ll clean the oil off of it so it fluffs properly and but it back in the incubator to dry.
TLDR: chick needed more help but is doing good.View attachment 2628191
Yay, I'm so glad it's alive!!! so cute!

Back
Top Bottom