Emergency...suspected thrush/ Canker...copper sulphate??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Aug 18, 2013.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I am such an idiot but I have been screwing around with this for weeks and now it's an emergency and of course this is one of my favs. OUr Golden Pencilled Hamburg hen has thrush, I'm sure. She developed a lethargy and was gulping a couple of weeks ago and we treated her for Coccidiosis, and dewormed her because someone suggested that might be the problem, because we'd had a few chickens with cocci. Miss Cluck Cluck improved after five days on the cocci med, or so I thought, and we let her out, and I went on vacation. Just got back yesterday and the symptoms are back and I finally said hmmm I need to check her mouth and of course she has the classic thrush lesions and her breath is awful. At this point she is quite weak but still trying to eat and drink. What should I treat her with and if I have to order meds, what I can I do for her in the meantime???? We have never had this problem before....! I would rather not take her to the vet for obvious reasons but I don't want her to die, so If I have to I will. Anyone??????

I am just KICKING MYSELF because in the back of my mind all this time I was thinking that might be it, but we were rushing around trying to leave and I just never had time to check her out the way I should have! I am so flipping MAD at myself!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    Yogurt?

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yeah, for starters. Soft food. Organic ACV in her water 1 tbsp per gallon. And iodine on a qtip, to swab the lesions in her mouth. Is what I learned. I ordered meds for her, they will be here in a few days. She's doing ok so far. [​IMG]

4. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    Good. Yogurt came to mind first because it is a yeast infection. I hope she stays ok during your wait. Maybe it will be cured before the meds arrive????

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If it's yeast you'll want to treat it with medication for yeast, something like Nystatin, Diflucan or maybe vaginal yeast cream. You can get Nystatin without a prescription by searching for Medistatin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she has the yellow, cheesy pus in her mouth it could also be canker or wet pox.

-Kathy

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I'm pretty sure canker and thrush are the same thing. Thanks for the info about the Nystatin, I saw that somewhere before but couldn't find where to get it.
    I ordered thrush medicine from Peter Brown the Chicken Doctor (www.firststatevetsupply.com). Not sure what's in it.

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Gosh I hope so but she really has it bad. What adds insult to injury is that my favorite rooster had it too, I'm sure. Well, he was one of my favorites. He was sick at the same time as Miss CC.. He lost his voice and that's common, so we treated him with antibiotics and let him back out when he seemed to recover. Only he didn't. We couldn't figure out why he couldn't regain his status in the pecking order..he was the senior rooster and never had a problem with it before. But now I know that it must have been because he was still sick. The other roosters wouldn't leave him alone. And he disappeared and never came back. I felt terrible about it, and still do.

9. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Canker is trichomoniasis, a protozoal infection treated by metronidazole, ronidazole, carnidazole, etc.

Thrush is yeast (probably Candida) and treated by antifungals.

Since you say it smells, I would wager it's yeast. You might want to peruse the thread about using Monistat since that's something you can get OTC locally and immediately:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wet pox also smells and according to Dawg53, so does canker ( I think he said it does, but you should ask him). I had one that had a secondary yeast infection (confirmed by UC Davis necropsy), but it didn't smell, nor did I see any lesions... not saying it doesn't smell, just saying that with mine I didn't notice anything abnormal.

Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by