emergency temperature incubation help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerrie Ann, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    This is our first time incubating our chickens. We made a homemade incubator from a my cooler. it seems to be working just fine. Until I moved the temperature gauge just a bit and the temperature spiked 115 degrees. We don't have the best the gage in there as of yet. So the temperature might not be as accurate as I'd like. Did I lose my baby? I candled them and I think I had a lot of viable eggs. Help help help. Thank you in advance

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    As long as you have the temp back under control just keep them incubating. Candling won't do you any good until they are incubated several days. I use a home made and I've hatched plenty out of mine. With those thermostats you have to really make "micro" adjustments and wait a good while before trying again. Just keep doing things like they are good and see what you get at your 7 day candling.
    Good luck on your hatch.

3. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    What is the best light ti use for candling? I am having a hard time seeing it completely.

4. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I just use one of the little LED flashlights like you can get at Dollar General. I do it at night when I can get the room dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by