emergency temperature incubation help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerrie Ann, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    This is our first time incubating our chickens. We made a homemade incubator from a my cooler. it seems to be working just fine. Until I moved the temperature gauge just a bit and the temperature spiked 115 degrees. We don't have the best the monitor in there as of yet. So the temperature might not be as accurate as I'd like. Did I lose my baby? Icandle them and I think I had a lot of viable eggs. Help help help. Thank you in advance

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

it really depends on how long the spike was and to what heights the internal temp of the eggs reached.

what sort of thermostat are you using?

is it fan forced?

3. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    We are using a small kitchen thermometer. Yes it has a fan in it. We are using a black reptile light. We are also putting water in a small dish.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

do you have a thermostat?

5. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    yes I have a thermostat

6. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I just received a true candling flash light. I candled all of my eggs. Bad news I dropped one. Good new it was viable egg with a heartbeat. The date on the egg was 2:19. I also candled the rest of them and they are moving. That is great news considering I thought I cooked them all. Very excited. I do feel very badly about the chic I killed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I just received a true candling flash light. I candled all of my eggs. Bad news I dropped one. Good new it was viable egg with a heartbeat. The date on the egg was 2:19. I also cancelled the rest of them and they are moving. That is great news considering I thought I can cook them all. Very excited. I do feel very badly about the chic I killed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by