Emergency, Ticks On Goose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    ok so I have a toulouse male and female that are about 2 1/2 3 months old and the male today is acting EXTREMLY lethargic and upon further inspection i noticed a little blood speckle around his eye so I looked and there are 2 little things in the skin that are about the size of a ball point pin tip and black I tried brushing it off but its held fast I believe they are ticks I also seen a little black bug in the down on his chest How do I treat this and save him he is just sleeping please help

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't know if there if there is any creams or oitments to use to safely remove ticks from geese. But there is a way to remove them from dogs and this may work on geese. Hold a cotton swab against the tick for about 30 seconds. Soak the tick. Then squeeze the skin around the tick and remove with tweezers. Then apply some alcohol to the area. I have never tried this but I know others that have had it work.

Ticks can kill your goose and you need to get it off there as quick as you can. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. liebe

liebe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    We use vinegar to remove ticks from our dog. It works great, pour it on, and after a few minutes the tick is gone. We have bush so an average of 1/2 dozen ticks per year we remove from the dog with vinegar. I don't think it would hurt your goose to try.

4. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    a few minutes after I posted this I pulled them off with tweezers but idk if they were ticks they were very very small but they were in the skin its just very odd he seems to be getting a lil better not much but hes up moving around and whistling then he lays back down

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    You can also try soaking the tick with dish washing soap and then picking it off with your fingernails.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    They may have been tiny deer ticks. My cat used to get them on the inner rim of her eyelids. If the skin where they were removed is open, I'd apply a little Neosporin to help it close up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by