1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGENCY - Turkey Skinned? *VERY Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellChell123, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    We went out and came home to find our turkey seemed like she's been skinned? We don't know whether or not to butcher her, or try to save her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The skin seems like it's been torn, but we don't know if we can wrap it and see if it will heal.

[​IMG]

The flap of skin completely covers the wound. It's wrapped now with vet-wrap (the stretchy stuff that sticks to itself). I have Pen-G injectable. Can we give her that? Is there any hope for her, or would it be more humane to cull her?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    There is always hope and birds do heal from horrible wounds. Clean wounds with a diluted peroxide solution or similar product initially,then clean daily with a saline solution. Apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens). I know you can use Pen G on chickens but do not know if safe or dose for turkeys.

Keep wound uncovered,unless flies will be a problem(maggots)wound will heal from the inside out. You mentioned you have it vet wrapped,while you can leave for a day,best to leave uncovered. Watch for infection,signs of infection are:foul smell coming from wound,redness/swelling,spreading/redness swelling,black tissue(necrotic,dead).

For pain you can give him aspirin,dose i have for turkeys is same for chickens,25 mg per lb of body weight. or one reg aspirin(325mg)per gallon of water.

here is a link with dosage information.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. BellChell123

Aug 8, 2013
    I don't know if leaving it uncovered is really an option. The skin flap hangs way down, weighed down by her feathers, leaving a gaping wound roughly 3x4". It's very cold here right now, so flies aren't a problem if you still think leaving it open is the way to go. I worry about the flap of skin snagging on something and making things worse. Would removing the flap help the situation?

4. appaloosakeeper

appaloosakeeper New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Ouch! As long as the wound stays clean she could be OK. Is the loose flap of skin warm? If so, that means there is still blood supply to it. If not, the flap should probably be removed if you plan on keeping her alive. This is just my opinion, I'm NO expert. Good luck with which ever decision you feels is best!
    Tammie

5. BellChell123

Aug 8, 2013
    It is still warm, but is hanging down, pulling the wound wide open. If I leave it there and uncovered, I'm very concerned she will step on it and rip it open even more.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If still attached,rinse flap of skin really well with a saline solution/sterile water,make sure you have removed all debris(otherwise you are sealing in bacteria that could result in severe infection). place flap of skin back in place(if bleeding apply pressure)wrap in strips,so that there is spacing in between to allow air to circulate,then wrap in a light gauze covering,again to allow air to circulate. Watch closely for infection.

7. BellChell123

Aug 8, 2013
    Okay, next question. The wound is directly below the wing, between the wing and the leg. Kind of an awkward place to wrap. Any suggestions as to the best way to do that? Obviously around her body, but would in front of the leg be better than the back? I've never had to deal with this sort of body wound. :-/
    Wish I knew how it happened! I'm stumped!

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Keep her warm,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp so additional heat might be required. Keep her quiet and calm,ensure she is eating/drinking. Give her electrolytes for shock.

Note: when i give aspirin i wrap it in a pce of meat or cheese,if bird not eating,crush and dissolve in water.

9. BellChell123

Aug 8, 2013
    Yep, we've got her in the bathroom right now, with water.

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Do you have gauze and medical tape(white tape)if yes cut gauze into square to fit wound(apply antibiotic ointment to gauze)trim feathers away from wound and secure with medical tape or whatever tape you have on hand,this should work. You will probably have to cut feathers a bit to remove tape to clean daily.

Note:if no tape available,use duct tape,i admit to using this in emergency situations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by