EMERGENCY wet chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twinwillows1215, Apr 30, 2009.

1. twinwillows1215

twinwillows1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Lapeer
    Hey Everyone,
    Its been raining here all day and my roof leaked and flooded my brooder. I came home and found my chicks (1 week old buff orpingtons and 2 week old polish) almost completely submerged in cold water. I immediately took them out and put them in a new brooder under a heat light. I've been using a hairdryer to try to dry them off and warm them up. Amazingly theyre all still alive but they dont look very good. I'm really sorry if Im rambling. Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    All you can do is keep them warm and dry.

3. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea, but I'll try to help you keep this thread going till someone who isn't so new can help. Good luck with your babies.

4. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    I agree with Chicken Women. All you can do is keep them warm and dry. If they like socks or old t/shirts I'd add them to the bedding. Check of course for any loose threads. Just try to keep them warm.. Good Luck

5. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    you need to completely dry them with the drier and keep them warm for atleast a day. they lost a lot of warmth and will be very week. same thing happened to me unfortunately I lot 15 chicks. Lesson learned. I could not save them. they were too week and died.

6. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    Give them some sugar water or water with molasses in it. Do you have avian electrolyte? If so use that too. If they look weak try feeding them warm baby food. Make sure they're drinking and eating. Drinking and eating are always a good sign. Good luck!

7. twinwillows1215

Apr 21, 2009
    Lapeer
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I've got them almost completely dry and they're all standing up and looking more alert so hopefully thats a good sign. I added a little sugar to their water and some of them are starting to eat and drink.

8. twinwillows1215

Apr 21, 2009
    Lapeer
    Thanks everyone for the help the other day. Amazingly, they all made it and are doing fine now.

9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I'd give them sugar water, or diluted gatorade just to stimulate their metabolism. heat it up first so its about 100 degrees. Not hot, but warm.

Thats what I do in such situations. Just one time, just to perk them up.

it warms them from the inside.

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Congrats twinwillows, glad they're OK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by