Emergency what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harleyjo, Sep 6, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have an approx 15-17 week old Buff Orp. pullet. I went to let them out of the coop and she was just standing in the doorway with her neck drooped to the floor. I have taken her and put her in a box and gave her some electrolyte water. She did drink a little but just stands there with her droopy neck.

2. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    It also has runny yellow poop. Was fine when it went in the coop last night.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Some possibilities:
    (Quoted from: http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp )
    ----------------------
    Botulism

Symptoms: Extreme weakness. Paralysis of legs, wings, neck. Bird cannot swallow. Feathers easily removed. Head hangs, swollen wattles, difficult breathing, dark head & wattles.

Causes: Toxic birds eat decaying animal or vegetable material. Toxin is soluble so can be in water or maggots.

Prevention: Clean yards. Don't use spoiled food.

Treatment: Place bird in shade. Fill crop with water twice daily. Give Epsom salts (1 lb. to 5 gal. water) into crop. Remove dead animals.
    ----------------------
    Marek's Disease (Range Paralysis)

Symptoms: Gray eye, enlarged feather follicles, paralysis of wings, legs, neck.

Causes: Herpes virus. Airborne or other contaminated skin & feather dust (dander). Contaminated litter. Infected birds.

Prevention: Vaccinate day-old chicks. Buy vaccinated chicks. (I think isolating sick birds & cleaning areas where sick birds have been will also help.)

Treatment: None (supposedly, but there is a thread on treatment at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290501 )
    ------------------
    Best wishes!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  4. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Well whatever it was she is fine this morning. Was still droopy when we went to bed but standing up ready to go this morning. Normal poop in the tote and everything. I am just glad she is ok.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Yay! Great to hear! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by