1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

emergency: What is it that stops chickens from bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilling in muscadine, Nov 6, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Please help, Sadie is bleeding from the part of her wing that is tied off. Must stop bleeding!!!! Is it baking soda? How do I use it?

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    You can grab a towel and apply firm pressure right where it is bleeding from to stop the bleeding. Hold on, apply firm pressure- keep holding for a few minutes. If that doesnt work, well- I tell people who cut a toenail on a dog or bird, too short, you can use flour and pressure to stop the bleeding.

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    You can use flour if you don't have styptic powder or a styptic pencil.

4. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Thanks, I had applied pressure but it didn't seem to be stoping but it has stopped now. It really scared me because the part that was bleeding was below the banded area where we are removing her injured wing. WHEW I don't think I can take anymore scares from this bird.
    Thanks again,
    SARA

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    you amputated her wing. [​IMG]

6. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    No well yes, but check out the thread that got locked a few days ago "Dog pulls both wings off hen." Then check out the new one "Sadie- its been a week since the dog pulled off her wings. I am attempting to remove what is left of her wing [Its just hanging there and usless] I am doing this under the advice of a vet. Wish me luck.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Bless her heart!!
    And yours, too!!!! :aww

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Best of luck! Cayenne pepper stops bleeding pretty fast. It shouldn't cause too much discomfort. Be careful of the eyes.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    you can get a styptic (sp?) pencil or powder at Like a Sally Beauty supply if you have one or Ive seen it at Walmart. Its good for shaving nicks too.

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    As in the flour suggestion with pressure, I read that DE can be used as well. Wish I could find the particular reference but I think it was an ingredient in a styptic(s) pencil as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by