Emergency! What is this? Pictures! Lump on under bone.

StandardLover

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Today when I took my black copper marans out of his cage, I felt a lump that almost feels like a crop would when it is full of food but it was way down his belly and far away from his crop so I know it's not his crop. It's almost squishy and I have a guy that is coming out today that would like to buy him but I don't want to put a sick bird on his hands. Is this a sist, a fat lump, something worse?
Here are some pictures: it is a little smaller than a golf ball.

Last edited:
Weird. I have something in a similar location (well, relatively speaking since your roo is probably 100X the size of my chick!) on a week old chick. Is the skin over it loose, or pulled tight?

Wish I had a suggestion.

Good for you for not wanting to pass a problem on to a buyer.

Yes, I was reading your post too because it sounded familiar. The skin is pulled tight, but not extremely tight, I can move the skin around. It is the right thing to do, I woouldn't want to receive a sick bird. It's just really weird because the rest of my flock is healthy. I wonder if it is a growth?

I wish I had advice for you. I truly hope you find a way to help your guy. I can tell you that I am going through something similar with a 4 wk old Salmon Faverolle Chick (male) and he's been this way for a few weeks. He doesn't seem to be troubled by it, or sick. In his case the swelling is a little lower I think. I'm sorry I don't have answers or information. So far I haven't found anything -- or had any replies -- but I posted pretty late at night. Good luck though, and hang in there.
Hoping the best for you.

Hey Standard-
Sorry you haven't gotten any answers. I talked to Dawg about my little Ruth and his only guess is Omphalitis, which was my guess, too. That wouldn't be the case with your roo, I don't think.
I'm taking Ruthie to a vet this morning. I'll update my post with what she has to say. Does he seem otherwise well? No other problems?

FuzzyMugz- Did you see my post about my little Salmon Faverolles chick? I put some pictures up. Is yours similar to this? If so, maybe my trip to the vet today will help you out too. Here's the link tomy post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...uishy-swollen-area-on-week-old-chicks-abdomen

Yes, he seems normal and in good spirits. He eats, drinks, and pecks around. Just like a normal chicken. You wouldn't be able to know he was "sick" unless you felt it. Maybe I will just take him to the vet as well. I am worried it is something that needs urgent care.

I bet what you're dealing with is the same as me....a hernia! I'm about to update my thread with all the details & what the vet said the concerns would be. Take a look over there in a little bit :)

Back
Top Bottom